WL004 Irish Ale stalled ferment

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:09 am

This is the first stalled fermentation that I've had in my 3ish years brewing experience and I bet I know what I did wrong, I'm just unsure where to go from here.

I was brewing an Irish Red for St. Paddies, things went wellish. I mashed at 152ish. I put it in my basement to ferment and the cool temperatures had the thing fermenting at about 61-63. Apparently that is way too cool for that yeast, a problem I never have had since I don't have temp control yet.

It took the beer from around 1.051 to 1.030, but has pooped out. I've since done the normal due diligence, and put it somewhere were now it is 68-70, I've repitched a another vial.

So far none of this has worked, and it won't start fermenting again or budge from 1.030.

My next step is to try and build a full starter using a dry california yeast I just bought, but that will probably be my last straw.

Any pointers, or suggestions?
Scien

Re: WL004 Irish Ale stalled ferment

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Listen to last week's Session.
dogismycopilot

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Try to pitch the starter at high krausen. If that doesn't work listen to last weeks session on Doc's stuck fermentation.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:35 am

Listen to last week's Session.

If that doesn't work listen to last weeks session on Doc's stuck fermentation.

Cool, I guess that's what I'll do. I was reading on here after posting this and saw that there was just an episode on this. I've been catching up so I haven't got up there yet, but I guess I'll put it on my next to listen to list.

Thanks guys.
Scien

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:11 am

By the way, full starter seems to have it going again. A very slow ferment it seems, but I guess that would make sense with the alcohol and low gravity at this point.

I did get a small krausen and a bubbling airlock, so SCORE!
Scien

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Awesome! Glad to hear it. I hope it turns out well. Too bad it won't be ready for St. Patrick's Day but at lest you'll have better beer.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Return to Fermentation