Belle saison fermentation profile

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:24 pm

I'm looking for suggestions on belle Saison fermentation profile. I have the ability to do pretty tight fermentation control with heating or cooling. I'm thinking about starting it at 68 degrees and letting increase 2 degrees a day until it reaches 75, holding it there until fermentation slows and heating it to 80+.

I have limited saison experience, and no experience with Belle Saison.
Bad Goat Brewing

Re: Belle saison fermentation profile

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:32 pm

I haven't plotted out a ferm profile for it, but I do like the yeast, and it (in my experience), exhibits none of the stuck fermentation or need for heat coaxing that some of the others do.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:25 am

spiderwrangler wrote:I haven't plotted out a ferm profile for it, but I do like the yeast, and it (in my experience), exhibits none of the stuck fermentation or need for heat coaxing that some of the others do.

Do you have rough ideal of the temp you used with this yeast?
Bad Goat Brewing

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:04 pm

Ambient room temp, had a wet tshirt on it for the first day or so, so likely similar to the profile you're thinking of.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:12 pm

I have had good results pitching in the lower 60's and ramping up to 70F over the course of a week. You will get a nice saison profile with this method and as Spidey said it is an easy yeast to use. I would not even recommend any simple sugars in your recipe as that can drive down the final gravity too low (.001-.002) and this yeast has no problem ripping through a pale wort.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation