Would it be wise.................

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:42 pm

Happy New Year my Brewing family!

Quick question, I was talking with a brewing guru of mine the other day. He states that as soon as he hits his fg he kegs his swill, sometimes in a little as three days!!!! Now I've been brewing for about 5 and a half years and everything I've read says that the 14day window was to help condition the bier has that changed??

Can I be racking in three days and Brewing another batch on the fourth?? Please any advice would be great!! Got a second kid on the way and NEED to get my kegs filled in time!

Brew on!.

Daddy Biers.
Daddy Biers

Re: Would it be wise.................

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:49 pm

Three days seems early but I'm sure some conditioning takes place in the keg, especially if one doesn't "cold crash." I've heard the macro breweries make beer pretty quick but I'm not sure how long it takes. The earliest I racked a beer from fermentor to keg was seven days. It was a Boulevard Wheat clone and it turned out fine.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Yes with a lot of beers you can keg three days after final gravity is reached. Can you go from boil to final gravity in three days? Sure, but it would not be anything I would want to drink.
Klickitat Jim

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:59 pm

Early on, I tried the "how fast can I go from mash tun to bottle" game. I found that they tasted so much better after aging for at least 2 or 3 weeks.

If you are so desperate to drink your beers after only 3 days, that means you aren't brewing often enough. You need to brew so many batches back to back that you get to the point that the thought of cleaning another carboy makes your back ache and you get sick to your stomach.

By that time, your pipeline is deep enough that you can allow them to age properly, without any temptation to crack them before they are ready.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 am

Thanks guys!!!!

As Always y'all come thought!!!

So what I'm going to keep doing is keep my swill in primary for the two weeks then cold crash then rack and put on c02 .

love you guys!!!

Daddy Biers!!
Daddy Biers

Return to Fermentation