Re: Diacetyl and how to make it happen on purpose

Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:03 pm

If you are going to go the lager yeast route then most definitely be sure to pitch on the warmer side (i.e. 65-70F) and letting it sit there for a bit before dropping the temps to ferment. Let it go only about 7-10 days, then rack or package as early as possible providing the gravity has dropped appropriately so the yeast does not clean up after itself. That will give you the best chance of a diacetyl bomb.

Although, as stated above, the Ringwood strain is a major diacetyl producer (which is why I hate beers brewed with it).
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:52 pm

I got a huge diacetyl character from a white labs southern german lager yeast starter the other day. Did a 1 liter starter on a stir plate, had it around 60*F I believe, let it ferment out (roughly 2 days) and cold crashed it immediately. As soon as the yeast settled I decanted it into a glass. The taste was a little fruity with obvious mouth slick/butter.
Beerd Man

Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:25 am

Czech Pilsner strains will throw a bunch of diacetyl as well.
Next:
Fermenting: Cider, Azacca Oat Pils, Egregious-ish, Lambic, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead, Brett Helles
Drinking: RIS, Doppelbock, Sauerkraut Gose, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Rye Berliner
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel
dstar26t

Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:45 am

I should have taken the advice to use a lager yeast but I used White Labs Irish Ale yeast because it says that it produces diacetyl on their website so I thought I'd kick it up a knotch but half a week later it still doesn't smell buttery but maybe I'll get other off flavors, I did everything wrong I possible could just short of pitching the yeast during the boil :lol:
Fermenting: Black IPA, Barley Wine, Cider and Imperial Stout

Current man crush: Warren

Previous man crushes: Nathan, Tasty, JP and Justin

Future man crush: Maybe Jamil or Doc

:bnarmy: SGT ScottyB-Brewing :bnarmy:
ScottyB-Brewing

Previous

Return to Fermentation