Starters- Ferment at ambient temps or strain specific temps

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi,
I've finally acquired the equipment needed for a proper fermentation chamber and I can finally produce my first lager here in sunny San Diego. I understand that it is important to have a solid starter (which I have never done) for a lager due to the low fermenting temperatures so I have the following questions: 1) Do I need to ferment the starter at the recommended yeast temperature (I.E. 55 degrees) or do I let it go at ambient temperatures 2) Is it imperative that I use the same fermentable (similar/same grain bill) in the starter that I will be using in the brew itself? Thanks for the input and advice.
Yakman619

Re: Starters- Ferment at ambient temps or strain specific te

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:25 pm

1. No, but you might want to chill it afterwards to get the yeast to settle, then pour off the spent nasty starter wort

2. No, definitely not. Shoot for about 1.030-1.035 starter wort. I use 5 oz light dme in a half gallon. Convenient numbers to remember (5 in .5) by the way I make mine in advance by putting it in hakf gallon canning jars and running them in my preasure canner for 15 minutes. I spend a day doing that and make enough for a year. I have 24 half gallon starter worts on hand right now.
Klickitat Jim

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:35 am

I recommend going to mrmalty.com for yeast tips and such. He has a question and answer article all about yeast starters here: http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php

You're on the right track with going for proper pitch rate and temperature control. Those 2 things alone are just about the biggest and best things that you can do for your beer.
JoeBeer100

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:32 am

Klickitat Jim wrote:1. No, but you might want to chill it afterwards to get the yeast to settle, then pour off the spent nasty starter wort

2. No, definitely not. Shoot for about 1.030-1.035 starter wort. I use 5 oz light dme in a half gallon. Convenient numbers to remember (5 in .5) by the way I make mine in advance by putting it in hakf gallon canning jars and running them in my preasure canner for 15 minutes. I spend a day doing that and make enough for a year. I have 24 half gallon starter worts on hand right now.

Thanks again, Jim. I like your idea of having starter wort on hand! That's something I'll have to add to my process, I'm sure its well worth the time spent on prepping them.
Yakman619

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:07 pm

Its super easy if you have a big pressure cooker/canner. Mine holds 4 half gallon jars. The hardest part is getting the dme dissolved so its not clumpy. Another tip is to add a little yeast nutrients. And once the jars are cooled I give them a shake to kick loose the hot break so it settles to the bottom.
Klickitat Jim

Return to Fermentation