Starter for WLP 650

Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:15 am

I'm planning on pitching some WLP650 split between 4 different 1 gallon fermenters. It's an experiment I'm trying. 2 of the 1 gallon jugs are a 10% Belgian Golden Strong. The other 2 are a 5% American Blonde. 1 of each I'm also adding some commercial dregs. All of these have already gone through a primary fermentation. Anyways, my question is, do I need to make a starter for the WLP650? If so, is it similar to making a starter for a liquid yeast?
jasonclick

Re: Starter for WLP 650

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:36 am

I wouldn't bother with a starter for it. You could, but I don't think you're going to get that much better of results to make it worth the risk and/or hassle.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:19 pm

jasonclick wrote:I'm planning on pitching some WLP650 split between 4 different 1 gallon fermenters. It's an experiment I'm trying. 2 of the 1 gallon jugs are a 10% Belgian Golden Strong. The other 2 are a 5% American Blonde. 1 of each I'm also adding some commercial dregs. All of these have already gone through a primary fermentation. Anyways, my question is, do I need to make a starter for the WLP650? If so, is it similar to making a starter for a liquid yeast?

It is a liquid yeast, but since you are adding it as a secondary fermentation you don't really need a starter. You might want to throw it in some wort before you add it to your fermenters so that it gets dispersed equally. It would be really hard to split a vial of yeast between four fermenters.
troybinso

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:51 am

that's what I was thinking. I went ahead and put it in 800ml of wort last night. It will be easier to divide up.
jasonclick

Return to Fermentation