Anyone tried Wyeast 3203 Da Bom?

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Has anyone tried Da Bom? I bought a pack yesterday after listening to a Sour Hour podcast. I have to admit, the suggested process makes me nervous. Largely Because I'm worried about underpitching off flavors(last pack on the self), and adding 02 after fermentation started seems wrong...

Wyeast Directions wrote:"For best results, we recommend the following: no O2/aeration at beginning of fermentation; periodic dosing with O2 during fermentation to stimulate ethyl acetate production; frequent sampling to monitor development and complexity. Under optimum conditions, beers can be ready for consumption in 1-2 months.
Bad Goat Brewing

Re: Anyone tried Wyeast 3203 Da Bom?

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:07 am

Haven't tried it.

O2 after fermentation begins is a little less troublesome when working with bacteria.

You can still do a starter with blends. Theory will tell you that the balance could be knocked way off, but experience shows that it's not as much of an issue as you'd think. Try building a culture of the dregs of a sour bottle. You'll be surprised how close your culture is to the original. A good blend will find it's own symbiotic balance.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:46 am

I chickened out/got lazy. I treated the Da Bom just like I do other sour blends. I did a split batch, so i'll see how it comares next year.
Bad Goat Brewing

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Please up date us. I am thinking of getting da boom for my next sour beer. I would have the same question.
norfire0

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:56 pm

I have a beer fermenting with the da bom. It's about three months old and has a nice tartness. With a blend like this, you don't have to worry about under pitching. There is no pellicle so far. It doesn't seem much faster than other commercial blends.
Waylit

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:41 pm

What about the O2. Did you wait and give it a little each day or some at pitching?
norfire0

Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:37 am

I transferred the split batches today. The Da Bom is defiantly more tart than the Roeselare, and has what i think are some nice Brett flavors showing up. The roeslare is still really tame. It's to young to tell, but I think the Da bom woulf make a much more sour beer. The experiment is going to come to end today, I'm going to top the two carboys off with my 2013 Kriek that I'm going to packaging.
Bad Goat Brewing

Return to Fermentation