Sour beer growing mold

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:38 pm

About five years ago I brewed a lambic, put it in my dad's basement and then moved overseas. Whenever I came back, which was about once a year, I would top up the airlock. I would occasionally ask my dad to do so as well, but I think it was dry from time to time. Last time I took a small sample was about two years ago, and there was still a pellicle which seemed odd, but I figured that some air must have gotten in. At that time it still tasted somewhat ropy, so I just refilled the airlock with boiled water and stashed it back in the corner. Now however, what is on top of the beer now looks like blue-green mold surrounded by a bit of pellicle. Making matters worse the airlock also had some gross slime in it. What can be done about it
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Re: Sour beer growing mold

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:24 am

Any chance you can post a picture?
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 am

I'm not sure how to post photos in the forum, copy and paste isn't working, so here is a link to an album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... eaf381473c
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 am

Yeah, it definitely looks a little green and fuzzy. You could try racking the beer from underneath the mold just being careful to not pick up any of it along the way if possible.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:28 am

brewinhard wrote:Yeah, it definitely looks a little green and fuzzy. You could try racking the beer from underneath the mold just being careful to not pick up any of it along the way if possible.

Taste it first... if it's absolutely undrinkable, save yourself the effort and dump it (sad, I know). If it still has potential, then try to carefully transfer it to another vessel.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:27 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
brewinhard wrote:Yeah, it definitely looks a little green and fuzzy. You could try racking the beer from underneath the mold just being careful to not pick up any of it along the way if possible.

Taste it first... if it's absolutely undrinkable, save yourself the effort and dump it

I call this a Permanent D-rest
Klickitat Jim

Return to Fermentation