Re: Berliner Kolsch?

Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Bobbie Dooley wrote:Also, fermenting a lager yeast warm is the opposite of a Kolsch

Yeah if what they're saying is true there are a lot of oxymorons in the description of the beer. A Berliner Kolsch doesn't make sense, a Kolsch with a lager yeast doesn't make sense and a strain of saccharomyces that produces a large amounts of lactic acid doesn't make sense.
Afterlab

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:30 am

All in all, sounds like he just doesn't know what he's talking about. Sadly that's more often the case than not with microbreweries these days.

I think the BN gives us an unrealistic look at the state of breweries - there are some very intelligent brewers out there, masters of their craft, but I think it's a gross minority. There are a ton of crappy breweries out there, or perhaps they can turn out an alright product either by luck or just without knowing more than the very basics of the craft.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:10 pm

While I agree with many of the comments above, I think this combo has potential.

Sour Mash, Boil, Ferment with Wyeast 2565 or the analogous White Labs product.

I just did a Berliner with the sour mash and it turned out clean and tart with a hint of apple (not green apple/Diacetyl). I used US-05 but I think the kolsch yeast would work great here as well. I was going to try putting part of it on watermelon just to see how that would turn out.

YEAST STRAIN: 2565 | Kölsch™
This strain is a classic, true top cropping yeast strain from a traditional brewery in Cologne, Germany. Beers will exhibit some of the fruity character of an ale, with a clean lager like profile. It produces low or no detectable levels of diacetyl. This yeast may also be used to produce quick-conditioning pseudo-lager beers and ferments well at cold 55-60°F (13-16°C) range. This powdery strain results in yeast that remain in suspension post fermentation. It requires filtration or additional settling time to produce bright beers.

Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 56-70° F (13-21° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV
Styles:
American Wheat or Rye Beer
Berliner Weisse
Bière de Garde
Cream Ale
Düsseldorf Altbier
Fruit Beer
Kölsch
Northern German Altbier
Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

So maybe a ten gallon batch.....
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 pm

You can use a Kolsch yeast for a lot of things - it makes a great substitute for 001 in pale ales. It actually makes the hops pop. Doesn't mean I'd call it a Kolsch though. I could see fermenting a Berliner with a Kolsch strain, but it's still going to need bacteria & it's still not going to be a Kolsch.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Fermentation