fermentation/aging time with lacto

Wed May 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Hey everyone. I will be brewing a Berliner weisse this weekend, and I plan to sour it by pitching lacto along with my yeast. How long should I expect this beer to develop the proper character (primarily the appropriate level of sourness)? Thanks for the help!
taskerm

Re: fermentation/aging time with lacto

Thu May 15, 2014 1:35 am

Last edited by dstar26t on Fri May 16, 2014 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next:
Fermenting: Cider, Azacca Oat Pils, Egregious-ish, Lambic, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead, Brett Helles
Drinking: RIS, Doppelbock, Sauerkraut Gose, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Rye Berliner
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel
dstar26t

Thu May 15, 2014 5:23 am

Definitely watch the video. I've been doing what Jess suggested for my last few Berliner Weisses, and they turned out very well.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Thu May 15, 2014 7:04 am

I have observed anywhere from 6-10 mos based on the size of the lacto pitch and temps that the beer was allowed to age. Don't rush these styles though as lacto can take its time to reach a proper acidity level.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu May 15, 2014 7:51 am

If you can pitch the Lacto before the ale yeast, and keep the Lacto around 90F while it works, you can get the acidity much more quickly. That's the technique Jess discusses in the YouTube video. You can certainly go with the traditional route, but I think it can also be done much faster also with similar results.

In my last batch, the initial Lacto ferment took the beer to about 3.4 pH. Then, I pitched the ale yeast. After the ale yeast was done, it ended up at 3.3 pH. I think I can get it a bit lower. 3.2 or 3.1 would be ideal. The Lacto fermented for a week, and the ale yeast then took a about week. The beer was ready to go shortly after.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Thu May 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. Great video. I was going to follow the Brewing Classic Styles method of just co-pitching the yeast and lacto, but I will give this method a try. I guess the logic is that even though you are letting wort with plenty of sugar in it sit for a week before pitching the yeast, a proper pitch of lacto will reduce the ph enough that other critters won't thrive. I will give it a go.
taskerm

Return to Fermentation