Multiple Oxygen Addtions Lager Fermentation

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:28 pm

Hello All,

Brewed up my first Lager last night and pitched the yeast this morning. I oxygenated with a tank and stone for 1 minute 15 sec. with bubbles spewing out of the top of the Better Bottle.

Would it be advantageous to do another shot of oxygen when I get home? That would be roughly 8-9 hours after I pitched. Just want to make sure the yeast get off on a good foot.

Thanks

Kevin
kevBrew

Re: Multiple Oxygen Addtions Lager Fermentation

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:05 pm

kevBrew wrote:Would it be advantageous to do another shot of oxygen when I get home? That would be roughly 8-9 hours after I pitched. Just want to make sure the yeast get off on a good foot.

If there is no sign of fermentation, then yes, give it another shot of O2. I regularly find I am giving my lagers a second dose of O2 8-9 hrs later when pitching cold. If krausen or another sign that the yeast have started fermenting is visible, don't add more oxygen. You will piss off your yeast.

kevBrew wrote:
Brewed up my first Lager last night and pitched the yeast this morning. I oxygenated with a tank and stone for 1 minute 15 sec. with bubbles spewing out of the top of the Better Bottle.

You might want to dial down your regulator. There isn't a need to have it running it so high that such bubbles form. When throttled that high, most of your O2 is staying out of solution and just floating away. You mainly just want to see bubbles of oxygen leaving the stone.

Good Luck!
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Re: Multiple Oxygen Addtions Lager Fermentation

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the response. I don't have a regulator on my O2 tank. Its a Home Depot tank with a More Beer strile filter and stainless wand and stone.

There seems to be only two settings on or off. The bubbles look pretty darn small. I will see if I can dial it down.

Thanks

Kevin
kevBrew

Return to Fermentation