Mini Keg for Second fermentation?

Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Has anybody used the mini-keg or corny kegs and used them for secondary fer-mentors? If so do i put the priming sugar in the keg at that moment or do i wait until 2 more weeks and put it in then? I also have the C02 regelung if that matters all.
Rich216

Re: Mini Keg for Second fermentation?

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:38 am

Sorry no one's replied to your post yet, so I'll chime in.

No, I've never done it or seen any need/benefit to doing so. I stopped doing secondaries years ago. Sugar priming a keg is completely feasible, but since you're going to need CO2 to serve it, I personally don't see the point.

I let my primary finish up & then let it set a bit longer. Maybe let the temp rise a bit for the yeast to clean up. I like to use gelatin finings, so I'll prep the gelatin, put in the bottom of the keg & rack the beer from the fermenter through the serving post to make sure it mixes well. I keep the lid on when I'm racking into the keg & leave the valve open for the air to escape. Then it gets put into the cold under pressure where it won't be disturbed for 4-7 days. Pour off the gelatin & done.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but that's my tried & true practice.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:42 am

No more secondary's. I have a conical to perform trub dump, then crash the whole conical in the mini fridge, then transfer to keg and serve.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:51 am

Thanks guys just a lot of stuff out here and just a lot of information overload. I get ADD over the information and ideas.
Rich216

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:59 am

No worries man. I use conicals as well, but I didn't know if you did or not so I just posted the relevant info that doesn't really matter what you're fermenting in. Don't worry about letting it sit on the yeast cake for a bit longer.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Ozwald wrote:No worries man. I use conicals as well, but I didn't know if you did or not so I just posted the relevant info that doesn't really matter what you're fermenting in. Don't worry about letting it sit on the yeast cake for a bit longer.

+1

Patience - had my best Belgian IPA because I let the yeast do their job and performed good temperature control. Won People's Choice at my Homebrew Club.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:10 pm

No i do not have a conical yet. My wife said i was spending to much on buying beer. For Christmas she got my a kit with a glass gallon fer-mentor kit. The addiction was born and slowly more equipment has been bought and growing. Since i was med boarded from the army and don't have to work i have made the a pretty much everyday hobby.
Rich216

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:33 pm

Ozwald wrote: Sugar priming a keg is completely feasible, but since you're going to need CO2 to serve it, I personally don't see the point..

Main benefit I could see would be saving slightly on gas, and being able to just add sugar and stash the keg somewhere and have it be ready to go after hooking it up. But I bottle, so can't say I'd bother doing it or not.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation