Re: Freaking OUT!! n00b homebrewer here!

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:54 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Ozwald wrote:Bleach has no place in the brewery for any reason at all.

What do you use to clean up the blood after you rinse it down the floor drain?

Old PBW works great on protein build up. Man, I gotta stop throwing you those soft balls... Damn it, two in one post.

EagleDude wrote:Although 7 days would be fine with some brews... two weeks prior to bottling is a good time period for most batches.

But anything ready in 1 week won't be adversely affected by an extra week. In fact I can't think of anything where it wouldn't be beneficial. Perhaps situationally, but not recipe-wise. E.g. the kegerator's empty.

Especially for new brewers, I feel it's best to wait a little extra since they don't have a trained eye or fermentation experience yet. Someone with 50 batches under their belt is going to be much more likely to notice those little details that a new person is very likely to miss.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:38 am

Ozwald wrote:But anything ready in 1 week won't be adversely affected by an extra week. In fact I can't think of anything where it wouldn't be beneficial. Perhaps situationally, but not recipe-wise. E.g. the kegerator's empty.

Especially for new brewers, I feel it's best to wait a little extra since they don't have a trained eye or fermentation experience yet. Someone with 50 batches under their belt is going to be much more likely to notice those little details that a new person is very likely to miss.

Well.....just like the saying goes. "Good things come to those who wait"

DAMNIT!!! LOL

I took a gravity reading, and I also tasted it. It taste like a wheat beer to me other than it being flat until I carb it. I am not sure what the temp was, I will take another reading in a day or so, and check temp for correct calculation of gravity reading on my hydrometer to compensate.

My OG on brew day was 1050

Yesterday it was 1.012 6 days later, but again I was not sure what the temp of the beer is to make sure i have a correct reading. I will make sure to get the temp next time :wink:
Fermenter: Honey Wheat Ale high ABV "from scratch" (Primary Fermentation Stage) Brewed 10/20/13
In Bottles: Kit Beer (American Pale Ale Wheat Beer)
TheHamNerd

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Sounds like you're pretty much on track. What was the recipe? Give it 2-3 more days, then take your reading. :wink:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:25 pm

i find blc works great on all sorts of body fluids... :pop
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

Previous

Return to Fermentation