Cold Crash - Fast or Slow?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:13 pm

What (if any) merit is there to slowly lowering the temp of your beer post fermentation, as opposed to crashing as fast as possible? I feel like I often hear people talking about crashing slowly over several days. Once fermentation is complete and after a diacetyl rest, I generally just set the temp on my controller to the lower 30s and let it chill as fast as it will go. Is this detrimental to my beer?

I was assuming that when I hear the pros talking about crashing over a few days it was just that it takes much longer to chill a larger volume due to the giant thermal mass, but I wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

Cheers!
Corporal in the BN Army

On Tap: Carpet Shark Amber, Black Silk Stout, Raison D'Saison, Black Silk Stout (adjusted water)
MattK

Re: Cold Crash - Fast or Slow?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:34 pm

The faster you can shock the yeast, the faster it'll settle out. Cold crash is just that - like an elevator crashing into the ground floor. Let it rip.

Leaving it there is fine too. It helps the "stragglers" fall out. And, yes, your suspicions about large volumes are correct as to why the pros take longer to drop the temp.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:51 pm

I think people who advocate dropping it slowly are mainly talking about lagers. I just don't like dropping it too fast because it freezes my airlock.
hoodie

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Big breweries that transfer to a second fermenter for conditioning use a chiller to drop the temp down as quickly as possible. So... yeah, as quick as you can do it would be recommended.
peas_and_corn

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:55 am

As long as fermentation is done I cool that sucker down as quick as possible (it also helps to carb it up as the solubility of CO2 is greater at lower temps)
In the Keg
Scottish 60

In the Primary
Belgian Witbier
Dry Mead
Protesto

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:30 am

Another reason a brewery might crash in stages is to give the glycol chiller a rest. A brewer I know will take it to 45 and then drop it down near freezing the next day.
I've consumed all of my homebrew. I'm worried. I can't relax. Now what?

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Return to Fermentation