Re: Repitch when bottling with Eng. Yeasts???

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

I generally add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket before I rack out of the carboy into the bucket. I have always assumed that this method works well, it seems like I should still give it a stir? I haven't had an issue with carb. differences per bottle, just general under carbonation with highly flocculating yeast. Also, will the yeast remove diacetyl once in the bottle? My understanding was this was in the fermenter where the gas can escape... or is it that the yeast just reabsorb it?
You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it

The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it
LostBoy

Re: Repitch when bottling with Eng. Yeasts???

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:31 pm

LostBoy wrote: I have always assumed that this method works well, it seems like I should still give it a stir?

I used that method when bottling as well, and found it to be adequately consistent, as long as my transfer hose emptied at an angle, promoting a slight circular motion to aid in mixing (also minimized splashing).

LostBoy wrote:Also, will the yeast remove diacetyl once in the bottle? My understanding was this was in the fermenter where the gas can escape... or is it that the yeast just reabsorb it?

Are you saying the beer is currently full of diacetyl? If so, the bottle will not help you much. You will want to swirl the carboy up and keep it warm before transferring if that is the case. Or are you referring to the tiny amount that will be created during the bottle fermentation? That tiny amount will get eaten up. You need about the same amount of yeast that created the diacetyl to clean up the diacetyl.
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Previous

Return to Fermentation