What amIDoing Wrong with White Labs Vials?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 am

I have to ask. What is your ritual for handling a White Labs Vial of yeast prior to opening it? I have always taken it our of the fridge about an hour prior to pitcing it into my starter. My issue is that whe I crack the vial, the friggng thing releases pressure like crazy about 80%o the time. Somuch so that I lose yast out of the crack in betweenhe cove and the vial. Then I totally crack the viaand I have alittle yast bomb/vial in my hands with 25%of he yeat going to aste because it winds up on te outside of the vial ad on my hands. Tis past Thursday was the wort as All the liqid came out of he via, but the Gawd Damned Yeast WULD NOT udgeout of he vial. So, I ask you now. What isyour ritual for opening these vials? I have to be doing something wrong. :asshat:
On Deck-Simcoe Sevada
Primary- Simce Sevada
Secondary- North German Altbier
Kegged- Simcoe Sevada, Late Hop IPA
Bottled-nada
On Tap- Simcoe Sevada
RLinNH

Re: What amIDoing Wrong with White Labs Vials?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:33 am

I usually leave it up on top of the fridge to warm up for a few hours before opening.
When I first put it up there, I'll shake the shit out of it to loosen it all up so the clumped yeast breaks up and goes into suspension.
This is especially important for clumpy ones like 002 and 007.
Over the next few hours, ever time I pass by i'll try to tip it over an re-loosen the yeast. I don't shake the shit out of it any more, but just try to re-loosen everything without making a carbonation bomb.

When its time to make the starter, reloosen the yeast.
Then, sanitize everything including the outside of the vial, my flask, stir bar, and everything I need to make my starter.
Fill the flask with oxygenated starter wort in it and yeast nutrient. (Using starter wort that I pre-canned in my pressure cooker).

Then, I open the vial over the top of the flask so that anything that comes out goes right into the flask. Cover it with foil and
fire up the stir plate. Leave it overnight and brew the next day.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM2 Judge
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:59 pm

I take a cold one out of the fridge, sanitize it (spray with starsan)and crack it open cold. just release a bit of co2, then close it before any gets to the top, wait 5 min an d do it again..... repeat until it stops, then leave it out to warm up. With some strains you may have to repeat this process again before pitching. good luck!
Fermenting....'Merican Stout, Trippel with brett B, 'Merican IPA, 'Merican 2XIPA Spontaneously fermented IPA /w/ Lacto
Kegged....Ordinary 'Merican, Spontaneous Berliner Wiess, IPA
Bottled.....2XIPA version 1
CPL BN Army, Multicolred, Horned Equestrian Division
secretlab

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:55 pm

secretlab wrote:I take a cold one out of the fridge, sanitize it (spray with starsan)and crack it open cold. just release a bit of co2, then close it before any gets to the top, wait 5 min an d do it again..... repeat until it stops, then leave it out to warm up. With some strains you may have to repeat this process again before pitching. good luck!

This.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:08 pm

When I begin making a starter I take it out of the fridge, shake it and crack it enough to realease the pressure, then close it before it foams out. It then goes in my pant pocket. Every once on awhile I repeat that procedure. By the time my starter wort is at temp the pressure is pretty much gone.
dannypo

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:10 pm

I've used a simple method. Take the vial out and crack the seal, tighten it back and drop it in my pocket while I make my starter wort. when I start chilling the wort, I give the vial a good shake and release the pressure slowly. I will release the pressure several more times until my wort is chilled. Give it a good shake, release the pressure and then pitch in to my flask and place it on the stir plate. At this point I start getting everything ready for the next day's brew session (never hurts to make sure that you have everything that you need, including a backup package of dry yeast). I have yet to start a brew day and realize I am missing something. Good luck with your next vial!
MouseInCA

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:08 pm

As I recall, Chris White says pull it out, gently crack it to release any built of CO2, shake it and repeat every so often through your brew day (or hours before starter pitching).
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:As I recall, Chris White says pull it out, gently crack it to release any built of CO2, shake it and repeat every so often through your brew day (or hours before starter pitching).

That is what I do...
Stinkfist

Next

Return to Fermentation