Dry Yeast in freezer

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:18 am

Last night when I got home from Brew Store I through a packet of Safale US-05 in the freezer with my hops is it dead.
topfuelbt

Re: Dry Yeast in freezer

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:42 am

It's 'probably' ok. Only one way to know for sure, but dry yeast shouldn't be affected by freezing, baker's yeast is commonly stored in the freezer.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:45 am

I believe the process of making the yeast involves freeze dry packaging, although I could be wrong. As spider said, the yeast probably is not dead, but you might have lost some viability of the cells. Good thing is it wasnt in the freezer for an extended period of time. Those dry yeast packages have tons of yeast in them too, so at least some will wake up and be okay I am sure.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 am

Yup, the drying process is similar to flash freezing, like the bag of individually frozen chicken breasts found in almost every supermarket. The problem with freezing anything with a cellular structure is water. It turns to ice crystals & the sharp edges will destroy cells. Flash freezing is much more gentle on cell walls. An unopened package of dry yeast has already been through the process & contains next to no water. I wouldn't even expect much of a drop in cell viability although I've not personally tried it & examined the results. I would allow the yeast to return to room temp before rehydrating to prevent unnecessary temp shock. If you're really worried about it, you could also do a small starter after rehydrating.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks for info everyone.
topfuelbt

Return to Fermentation