Temp went high

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 am

Okay I am brewing an English IPA kit from More Beer using a dry yeast safale 04. I pitched at around 20c or 68f. Pitched around 6pm. The next morning the ferm temp was 23c or 73f. I turned down the heater on it and went to work. I get home and it is up to 27c or 80f. It was probably around 77-80f for a couple hours. I put the ferm in the bathtub to cool it down to 24c or 75f as quickly as possible then took it out and let it cool to around 70f. I am now keeping it at that temp.

My question is what can I expect to happen because of the temp change, even though it wasn't too long that high? I will let it sit in the Carboy for at least a week then secondary it and add the oak chips.

ToadLicker
ToadLicker

Re: Temp went high

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:10 am

My experience with the s-04 is that it is very fruity at temperatures over 20 C. I suspect that your beer will have a very pronounced tutti-fruity taste. You may also get some off flavour due to yeast stress. It may also affect the attenuation in either direction.

I recommend that you get some sort of temperatur control for your fermentations in the future. This will significantly improve your beers.
Happy warrior!
Schroom

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:56 am

That's what I was afraid of. I am going to get a temp controller when I can but living in Japan make everything a total bitch. Just to get another kit takes ages.
ToadLicker

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:58 am

mpearce wrote: The next morning the ferm temp was 23c or 73f. I turned down the heater on it and went to work.

Did you actually have it under a heater? If you pitch at 68F, no additional heat should be needed unless it's in a room that is much colder.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Yes I have to use a heater. In Japan we don't have central heating and air. You have aircons and heaters for each room. So my average temp in the house right now is 40f or lower. It is cheaper for me to put a heated blanket on my fermenter than keep the heat on all day. I even have to use a blanket to bottle condition. I wrap the heated blanket and a sleeping bag around the fermenter to try to keep it the right temp. This is only my fourth brew so haven't gotten a temp controller yet. Will order one today I think from ebay. One of the fish tank jobs that are pretty cheap.
ToadLicker

Return to Fermentation