Re: Autoylsis guidance...????

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:08 am

An infection!?!? That's a pretty big leap. This was a big OG beer, so it's understandable that it will take a while longer than usual to ferment. And it might not even be fermenting anymore -- it might just be dissolved CO2 coming out of solution.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

dmtaylor wrote:An infection!?!? That's a pretty big leap. This was a big OG beer, so it's understandable that it will take a while longer than usual to ferment. And it might not even be fermenting anymore -- it might just be dissolved CO2 coming out of solution.

Exactly. I figured it was trolling, so I just ignored it. I've done tests to see how long I could go. I gave up when the days in the carboy hit triple digits & still no problems. Even my 25 gallon conical wouldn't put that kind of pressure on a yeast cake. Get a 330bbl conical & you can start to worry :)
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:54 pm

No worries. That yeast strain can take a while to finish out. I would take a gravity reading and then make your decision as to what to do next. If your gravity is acceptable, then feel free to package it. If it is still higher than you would like (1.012 or greater) than I would give the fermentor a good swirl and try to raise the temps a bit higher to help it finish out.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Autolysis isn't the issue that older references make it out to be. Had 3+ month in carboy and it still bottle carbed after gelatin floccing. Like Ozwald said, you don't have pressure on the bottom of your carboy, and you pitched healthy yeast. Good yeast health + small amount of pressure = no worries
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:02 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Autolysis isn't the issue that older references make it out to be. Had 3+ month in carboy and it still bottle carbed after gelatin floccing. Like Ozwald said, you don't have pressure on the bottom of your carboy, and you pitched healthy yeast. Good yeast health + small amount of pressure = no worries

Thanks Spider, I appreciate the advice from all. I reached out to White Labs(which by the way responded to my question in like an hour)

here is his response: I wouldn't worry too much about autolysis at 4 weeks, but bubbling in the airlock could just be CO2 coming out of solution. The only way to really know if your fermentation is finished is to take a gravity reading, so now might be a good time to rack into secondary and take a reading. If you are at your target final gravity then you can either package the beer or leave it in secondary to mature for a while. If you are still not quite where you want to be, then racking the beer can sometimes kick start fermentation again; so either way it might be a good time to rack.

Sounds right in line with the reponses in this thread...
In primary: Coconut porter
In secondary: Hefe, Citra Pale

As the man in the stall said to the man waiting...give it time
samsonave

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:13 pm

As far as racking kickstarting ferment, much of that may just be the CO2 coming out of solution, or if there is some level of stratification following the yeast settling early, you can get pretty much the same by giving the fermentor a good swirl/shake to get it roused up.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:36 am

Bottled this brew this weekend and FG was 1.002. FYI...
In primary: Coconut porter
In secondary: Hefe, Citra Pale

As the man in the stall said to the man waiting...give it time
samsonave

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am

samsonave wrote:Bottled this brew this weekend and FG was 1.002. FYI...

1.082 all the way down to 1.002?

OK, NOW it sounds infected! :mrgreen:
I'm sick of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
tlael

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation