Autoylsis guidance...????

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Brewed a pretty big (1.082) belgian golden strong during the first week of December. I did a starter with new vial. Pitched at 66 and raised/maintained around 70-72. Exponential phase was strong, but here I am nearly a month later...and still am getting a bubble every 5-10 seconds or so and can visibly see plenty of CO2 rising.

I don't like to take a gravity reading until I see fermenation has clearly ended. Worried if I dont pull this off the now huge yeast cake I am going to get autolysis in my beer.

So help me: let this thing finish fermenting? or secondary and stir up some yeast to finish any left overs? Open to suggestion...
In primary: Coconut porter
In secondary: Hefe, Citra Pale

As the man in the stall said to the man waiting...give it time
samsonave

Re: Autoylsis guidance...????

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:16 pm

What yeast? A month is not a big deal. CO2 can come out of suspension when the beer is warmed, but a bubble every 5-10 seconds is quite a bit. Take a gravity reading and see where you are at.
Private Krizwit
krizwit

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 pm

It was WLP570, Belgian Golden.
In primary: Coconut porter
In secondary: Hefe, Citra Pale

As the man in the stall said to the man waiting...give it time
samsonave

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm with Krizwit on this one.
On Deck-Simcoe Sevada
Primary- Simce Sevada
Secondary- North German Altbier
Kegged- Simcoe Sevada, Late Hop IPA
Bottled-nada
On Tap- Simcoe Sevada
RLinNH

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:55 pm

I agree that a month is nothing to worry about. 3 months maybe, but I would just let it go and take a reading in a couple of weeks.
BrewerAdam

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:17 pm

You should be ok. Take a reading to check

The beer might be finished but WLP570 takes a loooooong time to floc out.
"When you said you mounted animals, I thought you were a taxidermist!" -- petting zoo, Oskosh WI
DBear

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Based on experience, you're safe for at least 2.5 months. Start worrying at month #3. You're perfectly fine at only one month old.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 pm

My guess is that you have an infection. The good news is that a little brettanomyces in a Belgian ale is not always a bad thing. Go ahead and sterilize a turkey baster and take a sample. See if it's a flavor that you can stand. When I've had that problem in the past, I get a bubble gum or Band Aid flavor. Brett flavors don't go away, they intensify with time so if you don't like the flavor now, cut bait and try again. If you don't mind the flavor and you bottle, be careful because you could have bottle bombs.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Next

Return to Fermentation