Conditioning a Barleywine

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:09 am

Hello,

I brewed a barleywine about ten days ago and planned on letting in set in primary for a month. I can't decide if I should transfer it to a second carboy for a few months and then keg, or just rack to a keg and age. Are there any differences? If each are fairly similar I would rather transfer directly to a keg to minimize oxygen pickup. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
HikeNC

Re: Conditioning a Barleywine

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:49 am

I don't have the exact timeline in front of me, but that's basically what I did for my last barleywine. Primary -> Keg -> back of a temperature stable closet where it could be forgotten for a while. Worked like a charm. Lost the keg in a couple days, found it a couple months ago. Other than one tiny recipe flaw, it's delicious. Brewed in early 2009, so almost 4 years old.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:47 am

I'm always an advocate of not secondarying in a carboy. I'm more sensitive than most to oxidation, and a keg can be CO2 purged easily, unlike a carboy. Plus, subsequent racks to a "bright tank" keg are done under full CO2. You dont need a lot of yeast at all to produce a valuable secondary environment. However, if you want the secondary yeast to really do anything, then keep the new keg "cool", not "cold", or else your lil buggers will nod off...
Jay
___

Lime cat thinks you suck
___

ON TAP:
RIS
Hefe
Pumpkin Ale
English Brown
American Blonde
O'fest
APA
Alt
Schwarzbier
Dry Stout

FERMENTING:
Nugget Nectar Clone
baltobrewer

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 am

I recently started transferring my beer to a keg from the primary, but this is the first time I've brewed a beer of this gravity. I did take a reading and it has already hit the terminal gravity. That does seem better just to keep the oxygen pickup to a minimum.
HikeNC

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm currently drunk off from aforementioned barleywine. It's delicious. Just sayin'.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Definitely rack it straight to the keg. Better than a carboy and you can even cold condition it if you have the room in a fridge. I will be tapping an English Barleywine (10.6%) I made last february that has been cold conditioning ever since at 35F in the keg. Haven't even had a taste yet and am really looking forward to it as our first winter storm approaches!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Ozwald wrote:I don't have the exact timeline in front of me, but that's basically what I did for my last barleywine. Primary -> Keg -> back of a temperature stable closet where it could be forgotten for a while. Worked like a charm. Lost the keg in a couple days, found it a couple months ago. Other than one tiny recipe flaw, it's delicious. Brewed in early 2009, so almost 4 years old.

See, I'd remember the keg. :wink:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:
Ozwald wrote:I don't have the exact timeline in front of me, but that's basically what I did for my last barleywine. Primary -> Keg -> back of a temperature stable closet where it could be forgotten for a while. Worked like a charm. Lost the keg in a couple days, found it a couple months ago. Other than one tiny recipe flaw, it's delicious. Brewed in early 2009, so almost 4 years old.

See, I'd remember the keg. :wink:

I have ways to fix that. :lol:
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Fermentation