Re: Fermentation vessel

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:22 am

Willys wrote: But if you see slightly lower attention you could rouse the keg during the first 4 days. Just a thought.

Good bit of advice, especially with highly flocculant yeast strains and for your high gravity beers where you want to keep as much yeast as possible in suspension.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:39 pm

The way I talk about it with customers in thinking of the issues of pressure on yeast on a homebrew scale vs commercial is snorkeling and diving to the bottom of the pool and the difference in pressure upon your ears...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:10 am

spiderwrangler wrote:The way I talk about it with customers in thinking of the issues of pressure on yeast on a homebrew scale vs commercial is snorkeling and diving to the bottom of the pool and the difference in pressure upon your ears...

That would be apt for the difference btw a commercial fermenter and carboy but for a keg to carboy it would be like snorkeling in a hottub or pool. Someone did the math on a forum somewhere and there is significant pressure on a 50 foot column but the few inch difference btw homebrew vessels calculates to nothing.
Willys

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 am

Yeah, that's what I'm saying... the pressure 2 feet under vs 3 feet under is negligible.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:45 am

FWIW...

A couple years ago I ran three experiments on my home brewery splitting an 8 gallon batch between a 5 gallon glass carboy and a corny keg. I was looking to see of there were inexpensive alternatives to glass fermenters, and didn't like a plastic option. The beer in the corny keg did not attenuate as well as the the beer in the carboy about 2-4 sg points. Both fermenters sat side-by-side in a temp conditioned space. I pitch a vial in each from the same date of packaging.

Obviously there are may variables, but:
- Effectiveness of aeration 'shake method' could be different between the two shapes. I was using a 2 minute swirl technique at the time.
- Temperature swings may have been more immediate in the corny as heat conducts better in metal than glass.

JZ mentioned in the Brew Strong podcast on fermenters that the narrow shape may impact convection liquid movement of the beer as it ferments.

I have since moved to fermenting in 50L olive oil fustis.

The Fool.
Non-Motorized Mechanized Division, BN Army
bikefoolery

Previous

Return to Fermentation