Fermentation vessel

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:46 am

I've recently started fermenting in converted pony kegs (7.75 gallon SS kegs, aka - slim quarter kegs). When I mentioned this at my LHBS (MoreBeer - Riverside, CA) I was told that doing this could cause fermentation problems. I have fermented about 4 beers using these vessels and haven't noticed anything wrong. Just curious, does anyone out there know what kind of problems would come from using a slim quarter keg as a fermentation vessel?

Cheers, :jnj

Darin
Darin Christopher
Home Brewer
Darin68

Re: Fermentation vessel

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:01 am

Did you ask them why? Not sure what concerns they'd have in mind... You may get different character from the fermentor geometry, or they may be concerned about stuff getting in crevices and leading to contamination...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:14 am

It was something to do with the vessel being so narrow. I didn't think it was that much more narrow than a carboy...... maybe by a couple inches.
Darin Christopher
Home Brewer
Darin68

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:37 am

Narrower vessel means more liquid above the yeast, meaning more pressure on the yeast towards the bottom of the fermentor. This can result in the different character I was referring to based on geometry. However, this is something that you can account for as you get more comfortable with your set up and system.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:05 am

I think the effect of fermentor geometry (i.e., hydroistatic pressure) at this scale is negligible at best. I mean hell, the difference between a 6.5 gal carboy and a 5 gal carboy is probably about the same as mentioned by the OP, and I use them interchangibly with no noticible effect.

Either the LHBS fella has his head up his ass, or he was thinking about something different than this.

~widget
Buttwidget

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:17 am

Buttwidget wrote:I think the effect of fermentor geometry (i.e., hydroistatic pressure) at this scale is negligible at best. I mean hell, the difference between a 6.5 gal carboy and a 5 gal carboy is probably about the same as mentioned by the OP, and I use them interchangibly with no noticible effect.

Either the LHBS fella has his head up his ass, or he was thinking about something different than this.

~widget

I agree. I'm thinking he might have had his head up his ass.
Darin Christopher
Home Brewer
Darin68

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:54 am

For the volumes that we do, it won't make a bit of difference. If you were fermenting a 10 barrel batch in a three story tall skinny tank then it would be a problem. Think about what the hydrostatic pressure must be in ordinary commercial fermenters. There are several feet of liquid above the yeast. They have no problems at all. Yes, someone does have cranial rectitus. 8)
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:18 am

Agree with everyone. There is no difference in pressure for a 5 gal batch. The surface area that the floating yeast is exposed to is smaller by a fair bit smaller. But if you see slightly lower attention you could rouse the keg durring the first 4 days. Just a thought.
Willys

Next

Return to Fermentation