Re: Lagering in a Corny

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:48 pm

brewinhard wrote:I do the exact same process as you. Primary directly into a keg for aging/lagering. Most of the times I typically just gas the beer up once its in the keg (providing I have cold-crashed the fermenter first). With lagers, I cold crash the fermenter, then rack over a clear beer into the keg. I purge to seal the lid and then forget about it for 3-4 wks. Usually around week 3 or so I will start to force carbonate it to get ready for drinking.

Cut the dip tube or not?
beerded

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:16 am

I have not had the need to do so. Even if I use gelatin for fining, the first half-pint pour is a bit murky, but after that the beer is pretty crystal clear, yeast strain dependent.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:54 pm

I lager in kegs all the time and never cut my dip tubes. I also get a pint or so of gunk and then it is basically clear.
NateBrews

Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:49 pm

i honestly thought this was the accepted method haha.
Brewshki

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 am

mtyquinn wrote:Letting a lager sit for a month will only help your beer. I hate when I get greedy and start drinking a keg only to find it taste better when it's just about out. Brew more beer. Let it sit.

Exactly this. Brew more beer is ALWAYS the solution to help other beer age :jnj
BrewingAZ

Previous

Return to Fermentation