Lagering & Carbonation

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:50 am

2 questions:

First, should lagering happen at fermentation temp(50F) or at a storage temp (37-40F)?

Second, should carbonating happen during or after lagering? What if you're keg conditioning?

Sorry, that's actually 3 questions.

Thanks!

Toasty
Toasty

Re: Lagering & Carbonation

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:26 pm

After primary fermentation is complete (typically around 50degF), and an optional diacetyl rest is completed, lagering should commence. Many will tell you to slowly lower the temps around 1-2 degrees/day (so as not to shock and slow the yeast in their metabolism) until you reach your lagering temp. Once I perform a diacetyl rest I typically cold crash the beer over the course of several days, then rack to a keg for lagering. I have not had any issues doing this and have had good results with my lager brewing in this fashion. The colder the better for lagering. I usually lager around 32-34 deg F.

When I rack to the keg I purge to seat the lid with CO2 and to clear the headspace of oxygen (or at least as much as feasible). I usually let the beer lager for several weeks (depending on the gravity and style) before carbing it up. My main reason for this is I feel that dissolved carbon dioxide in the beer will inhibit the yeast due to the added pressure exerted on it. Maybe I just feel bad for them.... :(
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Re: Lagering & Carbonation

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks brewinhard! I had read and heard a bit about the theory behind lagering (why it's done, what's going on during lagering, etc.) but was still unsure of the order of the steps.

Our local Gordon Biersch doesn't brew their Dunkles anymore, and as it is a favorite of both myself and my wife, it's up to me to do the best I can with it.

Cheers!
Toasty

Return to Fermentation