Does oak carry through on next generation yeast?

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:44 am

If oaking a batch without removing it from the yeast cake, will it carry through if the yeast is reused, even after rinsing? I had cloves carry over this way once, but that was before I was rinsing my yeast first.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Re: Does oak carry through on next generation yeast?

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:46 pm

How long are you talking about aging the beer on the oak for? How much and what level toast? If you are aging the beer on the oak for a while I don't think you would want to reuse the yeast anyway as the viability will be fairly decreased.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:05 am

I'll only be leaving it on the oak a week or less and probably will be removing it from yeast first anyway. I was just curious. I'm using 1oz of light toasted Am oak chips.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:07 am

I think you will be fine unless your repitching on the whole yeast cake and making a light beer. Oak takes a little time to carry through to the beer.
BrewerJ

Return to Fermentation