Hard cider and preservatives

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:33 am

So my wife wants a couple gal of hard cider for the fall time. I usually use non pasturized and preservative free cider. For some reason this year i cant find any peservative free cider, will cider with preservatives still ferment? I thought it wouldnt but i wanna double check. Thanks!
sharkguy05

Re: Hard cider and preservatives

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:40 am

Sulfites will kill the yeast. Just get some generic 100% apple juice and throw the sweet mead yeast in it. Thats all I did and it is tasting pretty darn good, if I dont say so myself!
snowcapt

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:38 pm

true but i was looking to go with a dark cider. Has the spicer feel. I'm gonna try a few farmers markets or see if there is an orchard near by. thanx snow!
Sharkguy05
PFC - East Coast Division
"Your never to drunk to fall off the floor"

Tap:
Kats Sour puss
Dunkelweisse
Big Fat Bock
Crystal satan
Fermenting:
Wise Bugg
sharkguy05

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:49 pm

Different varieties of apples will give different character to your cider. Big differences in sweetness and acidity. For this reason I also often go with the cheap store brand apple juice (without preservatives). These are blends of a wide variety of apples, generally relegated to juice for cosmetic reasons. These blends tend to balance out all those differences and produce a nice cider. I often add some spices by gently heating a little of the juice with some cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and fresh ground nutmeg. A sweet mead yeast makes the best cider as it leaves much of the apple flavor and aroma in the finished cider.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:38 pm

I use juice too. Did my first batch with fruit puree added (raspberry), tasted good in samples, need to bottle it soon.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:41 pm

The one I made a while ago is now kegged. I added some spices to it after I did to my pumpkin ale.
Tastes great, and it will only get better.
snowcapt

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:51 am

I read somewhere you can add a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to get rid of sulfites in wine for making vinegar. I found the link. http://waterhouse.ucdavis.edu/winecomp/so2.htm

I would think you could do the same thing with apple juice.
Quin

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 am

i think i just stick to making my own cider outta juice. dont really want any peroxide in my cider! Thanks though
Sharkguy05
PFC - East Coast Division
"Your never to drunk to fall off the floor"

Tap:
Kats Sour puss
Dunkelweisse
Big Fat Bock
Crystal satan
Fermenting:
Wise Bugg
sharkguy05

Return to Fermentation