TOTAL FNG to beermaking AND using forums !! Help needed

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:47 am

Folks...I'm in a bit of a pickle. First off, I live/work in Kuwait.....a "dry" country. So, it's not like I can hop in the car and get what I need with any sense of urgency. I purchased a complete at home beermaking kit as well as a beer ingredient kit for making a pale amber. I followed the directions to a "tee" but, now after nearly 48 hours in the bucket/fermenter, I see no sign of fermentation. Any suggestions? Any advice? If you want to contact me faster, hit my email! jumpmaster0451@yahoo.com
Allen

Re: TOTAL FNG to beermaking AND using forums !! Help need

Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:50 am

Allen wrote: I followed the directions to a "tee" but, now after nearly 48 hours in the bucket/fermenter, I see no sign of fermentation. Any suggestions? Any advice?

Go to the cocktail hours at the embassy?

There are lots of things which could cause your fermentation to fail to kick off. Given your location one immediately forms the picture of your brewing kit sitting in a container baking in the middle eastern sun on the tarmac of some airport as it made it way to you. IOW it is possible the yeast were not viable when they arrived. Another possibility is that you did not cool the wort sufficiently before pitching so that the yeast got killed, again by heat, in that way. A third is that the yeast were not viable when they left the supplier. This should not happen but it does. A fourth is that you did not aerate the wort sufficiently. If this is indeed responsible and the yeast were viable then the fermentation may start. Give it another day or so. Eventually it will begin to ferment but the longer it takes the greater the liklihood that it is local flora and not the yeast you pitched that are responsible. If that's the case you can expect the beer to be pretty awful.

You can detect the onset of fermentation well before it is obvious if you illuminate the surface of the wort at an acute angle with a flashlight and look across the surface also at an acute angle. If the surface scintillates (tiny CO2 bubbles breaking the surface) that's an indication that you are off and running. You should have a foam island or 2 within a couple of hours of that.

I expect you have been briefed but be careful. We were advised, for example, not to leave beer cans in the trash in hotel rooms.
ajdelange

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 am

Thanks for the well-informed reply. Actually, sometime after I went to bed last night, fermentation must have kicked off. I checked it this morning and the little plastic valve is clicking up and down rapidly. Yesterday I bumped the temperature of the room from about 68/69 up to around 72 F. I live in my own place and the room I have the fermenter in is secluded and locked. So, I have no worries about others finding out. All of my previous 15 or so batches of wine were just for me and my wife...no one else. Flapping your gums is the best way to get busted. Kuwaitis are actually pretty tolerant of alchohol in the home, just don't produce it for sale or transport alcohol and you're generally pretty safe. In fact, of the Kuwaitis I've met, a lot of them drink like out-of-control college kids!

As for empty cans or bottles in your hotel rooms? I wouldn't worry about that too much. If needed, just take it down the hall to a public trashcan. Most of the staff in the hotels are Easterners anyway and they could care less.

I frequently attend the happy hour at the embassy...I prefer the happy hour at the Marine House as opposed to the happy hour sponsored by the civilian side of the embassy.

The kit (beer making ingredients, not the equipment itself) for the beer I actually brought with me on the flight. Since it wasn't a bottle of liquid on the Xray display, I wasn't questioned about the box. So, the yeast SHOULD have been in good condition. Is using wine yeast ever an alternative?

Thanks for all the help!!
Allen

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:24 am

AJ. You are an international man of mysery, if I have ever seen one.
I think that I now fear you. Chemistry, military, embassies, oh my!
:jnj
snowcapt

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:05 am

I would add that it could also be that the lid is not sealing well. You could slosh the beer around a little to get some beer into the interface between the bucket and the lid. This seems to help seal it off.
Quin

Return to Fermentation