Article on Yeast (for the yeast ranchers)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:12 am

This has cool info, not a lot of general application but good reading for the people wanting to control mutation in their germ lines.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... tants.html
djii

Re: Article on Yeast (for the yeast ranchers)

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:45 am

Opportunist yeasts on welfare :shock:
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:49 am

So, this explains Congress...

A group bonded together to suck the life out of the rest of us! :evil: :twisted: :asshat:

Alan
alan_marks

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:39 pm

The article says "The researchers found that clumping yeast could consume significantly more sucrose than the free-living variety,
giving them a clear competitive advantage."

So how come the Fuller's strain, which flocculates when you look at it too long, has less attenuation than almost any other strain?
jeffjm

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:21 am

jeffjm wrote:The article says "The researchers found that clumping yeast could consume significantly more sucrose than the free-living variety,
giving them a clear competitive advantage."

So how come the Fuller's strain, which flocculates when you look at it too long, has less attenuation than almost any other strain?

Correlation does not prove causation.

These could be two independent attributes of the Fuller's strain, no?

Adam
biertourist

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 am

jeffjm wrote:So how come the Fuller's strain, which flocculates when you look at it too long, has less attenuation than almost any other strain?

On the other hand, White Labs 007 flocs and drops faster than a lot of my college girlfriends' pants and has a rather high attenuation percentage.

I'd attribute both of those sets of traits to individual strain characteristics. I'm no microbiologist, though, so I don't actually know anything.
Bottle: Lonely Beer Party Bitter, Mildly Amused, Saison Du Biz (two fermentors with slightly different ferm. temps), Noah's Parti Bitter

Fermentor: Noahs Parti Wine-o

Coming up:
Wutz

Return to Fermentation