how low can you take 3711 french saison

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:39 am

I have used this strain man times and loved it. What i am looking to do is make a split 10 gallon batch with 2 yeasts. The first yeast will be 1007 altbier and the second the french saison. I wasnt to run them both at the same temp. I normally run 1007 at 60 degrees and I often go as low as 65 with french saison. How low can I go with the french saison? Anybody every ferment at 62 with this strain? One beer will be a pale and hoppy altbier and the other a saison/hoppy belgian pale. What do you guys think would be a happy median for the two strains to ferment together? 62, 63, 64, 65?
On Deck: Bier de Garde, Northern German Pils
In Fermenters: Homegrown Pale Ale
in keg: Octoberweizen, Dusseldorf Alt
edisonst

Re: how low can you take 3711 french saison

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:47 am

3711 as you know is a huge attenuator. Almost a bit too much some times. I would worry more about your alt temps rather than the saison. You can always ferment both at 60 deg F, but wrap the saison in a large blanket or towel to use the exothermic fermentation temperature to boost the primary temp of that fermenter. Should be fine and you might even have to take the blanket off if the beer gets too warm for your liking.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation