Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

Re: Roselare Yeast

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Please keep us posted on the progression of your delicious sounding fruit flanders!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:35 pm

brewinhard wrote:Please keep us posted on the progression of your delicious sounding fruit flanders!

I certainly will. I just topped up the airlock with water and checked on it. The pellicle looks thinner, but grosser. It used to be a nice, thick off-pink film stretched across the top, but now it has a bunch of splotches in it that are almost (barely) green(ish)...but maybe the color is my imagination...man I hope so. And I hope that it doesn't suck when it's done.
"Beer; so much more than a breakfast drink." -Homer

Bottled:
Aging: Flanders Red
On Deck: Jeez I need to brew...
Bellmer

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Just give it time...Apparently those beers go through a sick phase which makes them look and smell like vomit. Maybe you just hurled in the carboy instead of the toilet! LOL!

I guess you just gotta have faith and hope for the best now.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon May 04, 2009 10:37 am

I love Flanders Red, but can't get it in my state. I've been wanting to brew some of my own for a while, but thought I really needed a 55-gallon oak barrel to age it in. Then blend it with new beer after a year or two. One of my friends has been trying to age a sour beer in an old SS brewery keg, but after five years or so of trying, he hasn't been able to get even close top a Flanders Red.
Has anyone made a good Flanders Red without barrel aging? I'd like to hear about it. Otherwise I'll just have to convince a bunch of my friends to go in with me and brew up 60 gallons a year so we can fill a barrel. (I understand smaller barrels have walls that are too thin and allow for too much oxygen transfer or something.)
aleguy

Mon May 04, 2009 10:42 am

aleguy wrote:I love Flanders Red, but can't get it in my state. I've been wanting to brew some of my own for a while, but thought I really needed a 55-gallon oak barrel to age it in. Then blend it with new beer after a year or two. One of my friends has been trying to age a sour beer in an old SS brewery keg, but after five years or so of trying, he hasn't been able to get even close top a Flanders Red.
Has anyone made a good Flanders Red without barrel aging? I'd like to hear about it. Otherwise I'll just have to convince a bunch of my friends to go in with me and brew up 60 gallons a year so we can fill a barrel. (I understand smaller barrels have walls that are too thin and allow for too much oxygen transfer or something.)

Jamil's podcast - http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The- ... w-10-06-08

Recipe - http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/The ... d_Ale.html

I'll be trying this next brew session.
PFC BN Army - Tactical Hop Command
Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

Mon May 04, 2009 4:06 pm

I'm glad you brought this up because I was thinking the same thing and was gonna ask the same question... I'd be real reluctant to do the primary ferment with a non-Belgian yeast, because I'm a stickler for tradition. I was thinking of using the Trappist High Gravity strain for primary, and was going to ask what others had used. Anyone use other Belgian strains besides Abbey II?

Bellmer wrote:I made his Flander's Red last year when the Roeselare Yeast was out. It is still sitting in secondary a year later in my closet. I fermented it out in primary using Abbey II yeast instead of Cal Ale (my reasoning being that in Belgium do they use Belgian yeast or Cal Ale?).
Nate Diggler

Tue May 05, 2009 7:14 am

Jamil's podcast - http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The- ... w-10-06-08

Recipe - http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/The ... d_Ale.html

I'll be trying this next brew session.[/quote]

Thanks for the links. Jamil has a bad name among the brewers of my club, no one trusts anything he says. I probably shouldn't post that on this forum but it's true. It's not because of what he says so much as the very important things he never tells anyone about unless asked directly. I understand a competitive brewer who wants to keep a few secrets, especially when he has made a name for himself based on his successes, but I don't really trust him to tell me what I need to know.
aleguy

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation