PauerKraut Recipe

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Here is a new ferment Im learning to brew. See old dogs learn new tricks! This is my Brewing Partners recipe and its fantastic!

Serves 20+

Perp time: 1 hour

Ingredients

1 small head of cabbage (somewhat evenly chopped )
1 large leek (entire stock, white and greens)
2 medium carrots (julienned or shredded)
2 medium parsnips (julienned or shredded)
1 small daikon (shredded)
8oz dried wakame seaweed
1/2 " knob of ginger (shredded)
1/4 " knob of turmeric (shredded)
4-6 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
3 tablespoons sea salt

Note

In cooler environments [garages and root cellars under 65 degrees] one can often allow their sauerkraut to ferment for multiple weeks. In our warm home environments, it is often good practice to repackage your sauerkrauts and other ferments into glass jars with lids to be placed in the refrigerator after 2 or 3 weeks. At this time, they can continue to develop flavor at a much slower rate and [if you can wait] they are superb after two weeks or month in this environment.
Directions
Step 1
prepare chopped vegetables and toss together with salt in a large glass salad bowl
Step 2
cover with a dish towel and allow to sit for 4-6 hours
Step 3
pack vegetables into a ceramic crock or 1/2 gallon glass canning jar
Step 4
insert a glass jar, plate, or other food safe weight into your crock to keep the vegetables underneath the brine
Step 5
visually check the brine surface each day for signs of surface growth, and remove if any appears
Step 6
check the vegetables after one week - they can continue to develop much further but have a great taste right now, too
HoppyHandedBrewer

Re: PauerKraut Recipe

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:48 am

I'm going to try this. What is a daikon? Is there something I could substitute if I can't find it?
Also, is the seaweed flavor strong?
Thanks for sharing :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 am

captain carrot wrote:What is a daikon?

It's a Japanese radish, kind of looks like a big white carrot. Most supermarkets carry them.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:50 pm

Yes Ozwald is corret and you could add more parsnip/leek and toss in a little horse radish or regular radish. The daikon is a mild radish. I taste the tumaric and galic but not stongly after fermentation it is well balenced and gets more complex with time but I usually eat it quickly . Its also full of probiotic lacto bacteria that is super good for you

I just went and ate a bite out of the jar in the frigde and I dont tatse the seaweed much at all maybe a hint just efore the garlic.
HoppyHandedBrewer

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 am

I was just commenting that they're extremely common so there shouldn't be a worry on not being able to find them. Even out here in a fairly small Montana city, I can't think of a single grocery store that doesn't carry them. They just tend to get looked over a lot.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:49 am

I put this together on Friday. The only thing I couldn't find was fresh turmeric. I subbed some ground turmeric.
Smells awesome! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Return to Great Food VigArously