Re: Snowcapt's Thanksgiving Trial Run

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:35 am

Unfortunately, the wife is gluten intolerant, so I'm not able to include beer and malt into as much cooking as I'd like. I'll be doing pulled pork this weekend though, thinking of subbing in malt for brown sugar in my sauce and having that as a second option...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Re: Snowcapt's Thanksgiving Trial Run

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:23 am

For a quick and easy desert I do a no bake cheese cake. The basic recipe is to blend together equal parts cream cheese and sour cream, sweeten to taste with a light flavored honey (orange blossom is great for this), and flavor with a little Gran Marinier. I serve in small ramekins (it is very rich). I normally garnish this with something. For the Christmas holidays. I place a couple very small mint leaves arranged in a fan with a couple cinnamon imperials (red hots) so it looks like a little sprig of holly.

In place of ramekins I will sometimes use small prebaked graham cracker crusts. Another suggestion for a garnish is to stick a vanilla wafer or some sort of stick shaped cooking in the cake at the edge to be used as an edible eating utensil.

This year for flavoring I am going to try a cherry melomel instead of the gran marinier.

A little of this goes a long way, so for a first batch start out with 8 ounces each of the cream cheese and sour cream. And Spider, this is also gluten free.

Here is a simple presentation of this from the last time I made this.

The topping is fresh orange zest (to go along with the gran marinier) and a rolled cookie stick. These were served in miniature shiny foil disposable cupcake cups.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Previous

Return to Great Food VigArously