Im using my turkey fryer to fry a turkey!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:35 am

Anyone have experience with doing this? Any tips or tricks? I am about to go buy an injector for the task. !0 lb. turkey has been in brine since yesterday, too!
Thanks!
snowcapt

Re: Im using my turkey fryer to fry a turkey!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 am

Make sure you set it out about 30 mins pryor to fry time upright in the sink to dry. Another trick I use is the slow graduated drop into the oil a third at a time with 30 seconds between each drop. I usually wear welders forearm gloves and apron when doing this.
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:43 pm

snowcapt wrote:Anyone have experience with doing this? Any tips or tricks? I am about to go buy an injector for the task. !0 lb. turkey has been in brine since yesterday, too!
Thanks!

Don't catch your house on fire! :jnj
Fremont Brewer

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:04 pm

A couple big safety things to remember: Make sure the turkey is completely dry before putting it into the oil. Any water will make the oil splatter. If it splatters on you, you may drop the turkey. If you drop the turkey, oil will splash out of the pot and catch on fire. You can guess how it goes from there. :shock:

Before anything else make sure you haven't overfilled the pot with oil, remembering to allow for expansion when hot. Some folks recommend filling the pot with water before hand and then sticking the turkey in there to see how much water is displaced. Once you take the turkey out you can figure out to what level you can safely fill with oil, taking into account head space for any bubbling and for expansion.

Don't even think of doing this on a wood deck or, heaven forbid, in the garage. Lots of folks have done that and lots of houses have burned down. See the first tip to figure out why.

On the brewing side of things, be prepared to spend a lot of time getting the pot degreased before the next brew.

Good luck with the turkey. If I lived in the same town as you, I would probably invite myself over for a bit of that. :)

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Success!
Wayne, I used my buddies kettle that came with the fryer. Worked out great.
Can't wait to have sandwiches and soup! Made greenbean casserole eggrolls. Yep, greenbean casserole EGGROLES! Mashers and gravy and cornbread/sausage dressing! Beers, too!
All I did was brine it, rubbed it with my homemade "cajun" spice mix, and fried that sucker!
And, if you lived in the same town is me, you would have a very full belly!
Cheers, All!
:jnj
snowcapt

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:47 pm

yum

Can't wait for samiches from the leftovers with
Miracle Whip

Alan
alan_marks

Return to Great Food VigArously