Duck Confit

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Made this for my wife's birthday dinner tonight. Leg of duck confit on potato latkes with a red currant and duck stock reduction. Spring greens in a shallot vinaigrette. First time I've done a duck confit- won't be the last! It was mighty tasty.

Yes, I fried the latkes in duck fat.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Re: Duck Confit

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:12 am

Ever done one of these? We call it a fatty. Beef and pork, with peppers, cheese, and mushrooms, all rolled up and wrapped in bacon. It's the only fatty that I can roll up and smoke anymore. So good. Especially the next morning with some eggs.
Elbone, how long have you been cooking and do you do it for work? I used to, but I just got burnt out on it. Ever since I moved back to Nowhere, MN, I haven't been able to cook the way it needs to be done. I worked at one place in town here, and I got bitched at for putting s+p on a steak. WTF? I was done shortly after that.
I have tons of food ideas and I went to culinary school at the Art Institute of Colorado, in Denver, so if you need any ideas or need to bounce something off of someone, let me know, I might be able to help(or not).
The duck looks great. I think that I have thaty same plate floating around here somewhere, it looks super familiar!
Cheers, Brotha!
snowcapt

Re: Duck Confit

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:43 am

snowcapt wrote:Ever done one of these? We call it a fatty. Beef and pork, with peppers, cheese, and mushrooms, all rolled up and wrapped in bacon. It's the only fatty that I can roll up and smoke anymore. So good. Especially the next morning with some eggs.

Elbone, how long have you been cooking and do you do it for work? I used to, but I just got burnt out on it. Ever since I moved back to Nowhere, MN, I haven't been able to cook the way it needs to be done. I worked at one place in town here, and I got bitched at for putting s+p on a steak. WTF? I was done shortly after that.
I have tons of food ideas and I went to culinary school at the Art Institute of Colorado, in Denver, so if you need any ideas or need to bounce something off of someone, let me know, I might be able to help(or not).
The duck looks great. I think that I have thaty same plate floating around here somewhere, it looks super familiar!
Cheers, Brotha!

That looks awesome! I've read about "fatties" but I've never made one. Have to change that. Got a recipe for me?

I spent two summers 20 years ago in the kitchen of a guest ranch in Estes Park, and several years after that waiting tables in Birmingham at some white-tablecloth places. Since then, though, strictly an enthusiastic amateur. My wife lived in Paris for a couple of years after college so we're both foodies, She gave me a copy of Charcuterie for Christmas and I've been doing some things from it. So far I've done Canandian bacon, corned beef, pastrami, bacon, tasso ham, head cheese and the duck confit. I've been making sausage and barbecueing butts and briskets for years. I really want to get into some dry-cured stuff like salami and sopresatta.

The plates are Franciscan "Starburst". My wife collects it.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Return to Great Food VigArously