Re: Smoker Recommendations

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:54 pm

If you can afford it, the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker is a fine choice. Although with a bit of work other less expensive options can work just as well. I have a Brinkman that cost me about $60 at the local big box hardware store. Adding a grate for the coals and stuffing some foil in the air gaps once it is up to temp made it work great! Other people have added air vents similar to the webers, but this seemed like too much work to me...
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:47 am

I used one of these for four years and I loved it - not too expensive at lowes depending on how you define expensive:

http://www.chargriller.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=30&osCsid=d1a36f46367ac03546bd2d21e64f1d6a

You add the side firebox and it's a really nice intro to an offset smoker, and it doubles as a grill. I used the hell out of it for years, smoking on it twice monthly usually and grilling at least 4 nights per week. It got fewer nights off than it worked.

The version I had was called something else, and they don't make my model anymore, but the one above is just a slightly larger version of mine.

I need to replace it now, but I loved it.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:04 pm

+1 for the Weber Smokey Mountain. If you have a 22" Weber Kettle, check this out: http://smokenator.com/. I have one of these as well. Works incredibly well. It holds steady temps with very little fuss. The only complaint I have is the small water pan...needs refills every 90 mins. or so. Other than that, the charcoal only needs replenishing every 6-7 hours and you only use about 50 briquettes at a time so it's quite efficient. Add the optional extra rack and you have a lot of surface area to cook on. I like this setup because you don't have another piece of cooking gear to store. Everything fits in a plastic grocery sack and can be stored anywhere while you use the grill for its intended purpose.
On Deck: Brown Porter for Souring in Oak Barrel
Primary: Air
Secondary: Carcinoma Quad
Bottled: 10g Berliner Weiss, Sour Wit, Smoked Hefeweizen
Aging in Oak Barrel: Flanders Red, soon to be bottled, replaced with Porter
huskerbrew

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:23 pm

I have to say I love my UDS ugly drum smoker. Cheap to make and easy to use.

dresselbrew

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:11 am

I reccomend the Weber Somkey Mountain Cooker, yes you can smoke on the kettle but it will use fuel faster and is harder to control temp. The SMC will maintain temp rock steady for a full cook without having to add fuel. It isn't a mortgage payment.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-721001-Smokey-Mountain-18-5-Inch/dp/B001I8ZTJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1269184010&sr=8-1-catcorr

There is a board dedicated to these smoker so there is plenty of
Helles in the Bottle......waiting to get kegging setup to brew more tired of cleaning bottles.
lilhatchet

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:25 pm

TheDarkSide wrote:"In spring a young man's fancy turns to thoughts of..."

SMOKIN' MEAT!!

I've never done any smoking before and would like input on a good smoker for the beginner. (i.e. something that doesn't cost the same as my mortgage payment ). I know Weber makes a couple, and I love my Weber grill.

I'm going to have to go back and listen to Homer's shows...everytime I listen to them, my stomach growls.

BREWIN' BEER!!

I've never done any brewing before and would like input on a good brewing kit for the beginner. (i.e. something that doesn't cost the same as my mortgage payment ). I know Mr. Beer makes a couple, and I love my Mr. Beer kit.

I'm going to have to go back and listen to Homer's shows...everytime I listen to them, my stomach growls.

Thoughts?
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:56 pm

lilhatchet wrote:It isn't a mortgage payment.

Nope, but it's a lot more than a couple of bricks and some foil. Try the Kettle mods. If you like the result, spend your money on a rotisserie attachment for it. Mmmmmm... spinning meat!

"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:23 pm

dresselbrew wrote:I have to say I love my UDS ugly drum smoker. Cheap to make and easy to use.

Chock me up as another UDS fan. I love mine, especially the price.
Temecula Valley Homebrewers Association
If life gives you lemons, throw them at the stupid people.

brewblog
PICS
fastdogbrewing

PreviousNext

Return to Great Food VigArously