Porter with Bratwurst?

Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:08 am

I was planning on making some bratwurst in a crock pot today, with bell peppers, onions, and apples. Normally I would use a pale ale or lager but since I was also making a side dish of beans that I'm using a porter with, I was thinking I would also use the same porter for the liquid in the crock pot bratwurst. What do you think? Will the flavor of the porter be too rich? The porter recipe is Jamil's Black Widow.
tedsox

Re: Porter with Bratwurst?

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:57 am

If your bratwurst is worth a shit, the porter won't overpower it. If it does overpower, buy different brats next time. I use porter quite often with brats myself though last time I used a berlinner weisse and it turned out great.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Re: Porter with Bratwurst?

Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:50 am

As an update: the bratwurst turned out really good, picked up the flavor of the porter quite nicely. I think I would have done the vegetables/apple differently though. They were too mushy and bitter by the time they got out of the crock pot. Next time I'll just saute 'em in a pan before serving I think.
tedsox

Return to Great Food VigArously