Newbie from Central Florida

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:12 am

Hello from Central Florida!

New brewer and kegger here, I have brewed two batches and Irish Red and a Chocolate Milk Stout. Both just hit the keg yesterday and are happily carbonating. I still have a carboy of Apfelwein that has several weeks to go before it can be transferred. I have been doing extract batches at this point while I figure out the long term plan (electric BIAB vs propane).

I just read an article here about beer line balancing and after reading it I think I am going to have a problem with the beer line I got from the home brew store, oh well live and learn I guess. I am looking forward to spending some time reading here and learning more about the craft.
shadow160

Re: Newbie from Central Florida

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:23 am

Welcome!
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:39 am

Hello! that milk stout sounds delicious and should be great in the coming months.
Brewshki

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:27 am

Welcome!

I bet you will be fine with serving. If you do run across an issue, then post back so we can help you out.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Thanks guys. The FG on the milk stout turned out a bit high so it may be a little sweeter than planned. Time will tell I guess. I hope to be carbonated by the weekend I guess I will have to pull a pint and see.
shadow160

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:22 pm

shadow160 wrote:Thanks guys. The FG on the milk stout turned out a bit high so it may be a little sweeter than planned. Time will tell I guess. I hope to be carbonated by the weekend I guess I will have to pull a pint and see.

Milk stouts typically have a pretty high FG. What did yours finish at?

They can definitely be in the low 1.020's to mid 1.020's and taste great. I bet with a little bit of carbonation the beer will taste right where you want it to be.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to New Users