New to BN

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:34 am

I've been brewing for a little over a year with 15 brews under my belt. I started out with mead, and learned a ton during that process. After learning quite a bit about mead I moved onto beer. I've since spiraled into other styles including a few ciders. My hopes is to start a brewery next year and focus on Gruit, mead and ciders. I've been focusing my studies currently on wild local Maine yeasts and Gruits. I've brewed 4 Gruits and am currently putting together a research article on all the herbs frequently uses in Gruit and the ones I've used as well profiling taste, bitterness, aroma, etc. I'll be making beer as well but I'll try to keep is very abstract when beer brewing commercially. Currently I have a smoked maple bacon ale on tap, a Maine Maple IPA, Oaked Sage Gruit, and a Kiwi Apple cider. I hope to contribute to the beer industry by researching lesser known topics such as Gruit for instance. I recently came across BN's podcasts starting with the Jamil show. I really like the feel of the show and the info they presented. After listening to the straight lambic episode I ended up listening to the sour hour as well. I'm now making it a regular thing for me. I hope that my skills keep growing and that I can contribute to the craft in the future.

-Justin A
Last edited by jamaral141989 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamaral141989

Re: New to BN

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Welcome :bnarmy:
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Glad to have you! Make it a regular thing, you'll love it!
Brewshki

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:00 pm

Welcome to the forum!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:44 am

Welcome!
I am curious as to how many flavors you can possibly put in cider. :shock: :unicornrainbow: :asshat:
snowcapt

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:54 am

snowcapt wrote:Welcome!
I am curious as to how many flavors you can possibly put in cider. :shock: :unicornrainbow: :asshat:

I did the kiwi apple cider as more of an experiment. It's a very odd combination but I think with a little time and a racking onto some fresh apples it'll improve.
jamaral141989

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:55 pm

jamaral141989 wrote:

I did the kiwi apple cider as more of an experiment. It's a very odd combination but I think with a little time and a racking onto some fresh apples it'll improve.

lolololol @snowcapt, what is your experience with putting things in cider?
Brewshki

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:18 pm

I bet you could put cucumbers in cider, or maybe a few (3, maybe 4 if you are really looking for more impact) of those little oranges.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Next

Return to New Users