Hi from Bowling Green Ohio

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:36 am

Hi guys. Long time BN listener, just now joining the forum. I should be working on finishing my thesis, so I decided to sit in my office, drink home brew, and play online instead.

Cheers!
Microbru

Re: Hi from Bowling Green Ohio

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:54 pm

Welcome! What are you working on for your thesis?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:29 pm

in our lab we compete environmental microbes (generally just bacteria) against human pathogens to identify strains that may produce novel antibiotics. As a rule, antibiotic efficacy declines with every use of the drug, and we are entering into an era in which known antibiotics will have a severely reduced effectiveness against clinically significant pathogens. My thesis work has been centered around a strain of environmental bacteria that produces a strong antibiotic affect against ESKAPE pathogens (easier if you just Google it) and the characterization of the genes involved in in the synthesis of its' drug. I also teach a lab that that is designed to further antibiotic discovery. I like what I do, but I love brewing and am hoping to start a career in the brewing industry after I graduate in May.
Microbru

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:11 am

Wow! Very cool. I have to look up those ESKAPE pathogens when I get a chance. Might be something I can bring into my Biology lessons at school where I teach. Sounds like you got the microbiology part down pretty well for the brewing industry anyway.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:29 am

I think teaching kids about the ESKAPE pathogens and how antibiotic abuse has selected for their emergence over the last several decades will be an important part of how we combat multi-drug resistance in bacteria. The CDC has already stated that we are in the early years of a post antibiotic society, which our clinical isolates confirm!

Anyways, thanks for saying hi! I'll save the doom and gloom for beer-related failures :D
Microbru

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:21 am

I do spend quite a bit of time instructing my students on antibiotic resistance through natural (or should I say man-made artificial) selection. We also explore the overuse of antibiotics in feed for livestock as well as making healthy, sound, environmental choices at the grocery store not only for our future health but the health of our planet. We also talk about decreasing the use of antitbiotic soaps and lotions in every day household use.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am

There are some good mini documentaries from Frontline (PBS) that I show my class when there are open spots. They are short and informative, and include real families that have experienced antibiotic resistance infections in loved ones. Some of it can be heart wrenching (Hunting the nightmare bacteria is one I remember some teary eyed students) but they are good eye openers. And it's great to hear that you preach drug free soaps! Studies link triclosan exposure to an increase in the ability for bacteria to become resistant to more drugs. Basically (and scientifically) once a bacteria can become resistant to ANY antimicrobial, it is easier for that population to become resistant to other antimicrobials. Because I work with pan-resistant pathogens, I am totally for government control of antibiotic use. These "bugs" are everywhere and we cannot kill them.

Thank you for doing what you do man!
Microbru

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:38 am

And thank you as well! If I wasn't teaching full time I most definitely would be involved in research.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Next

Return to New Users