Re: New Brewer from Santa Barbara County

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:08 am

When I started building my gear I started finding that my friends had a lot of stuff I could use.
My buddy had this dorm fridge he was getting rid off. I took off the door shelves and made a temp
controller for it. I fermented my first two batches in a bucket, the next few in Better bottle and a car boy
Last 3 batches have been a Fermenator. The Fridge seems to keep The Better Bottle and glass carboy
cooler easier than the Stainless Conical. It struggles to bring it down a few degrees. I guess stainless
conducts less than Glass or thin plastic. I use my wife's heating pad for warming.
DIRTYBIRD

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:26 am

One of my club members received a free 7 gal Fermenator from a guy who stopped brewing.
He has no use for it because he brews 10 gallons. So he said it can be the club's conical.
Only two of us in the club brew 5 gal batches so I've been using it. Had to blow it apart completely
because it hadn't been cleaned then sat for a year. I have to take parts off of it to fit it into my fridge.
I made a shorter leg for the back so it can sit on the fridge shelf. I call it the pirates leg.
DIRTYBIRD

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:35 am

When I took apart the Ball Valves I almost threw up....shit inside smelled awfully familiar.
Like my high School girlfiend's Vageen after she rode around on a bicycle all day.
I did not want that flavor in my beer! hahaha
DIRTYBIRD

Previous

Return to New Users