Re: JP's new show?

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:55 am

My problem is that the show is too BJCP-centric. I know they have BJCP master judges on the show. But I'd be more interested in hearing about a particular beer's flaws and how to fix them, or good points and what they did to produce it, rather than whether a beer is in or out of a particular style and what score it would get as they scored it.

I guess I prefer Jamil's philosophy of the best beer wins rather than fitting a style wins.
whoateallthepies

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:51 am

Well it is advertised as BJCP centric, but I think they do both. BJCP has a specialty category, so even they make allowances for that. JP has had several weird beers on the show. Most I don't care whether they are good or bad, because I wouldn't brew them.
I was the SE Brown this week. My club basically brewed a beer we thought was in style, and learned more about how to alter recipe, etc so we could get closer to the target. I think it got a 28, not because it had flaws, but because it wasn't within style. They said it would have scored higher in a category like an Irish red, but I can already make a real nice Red, so what I got out of it was it needed some changes to get there.
I pretty much have my system dialed in. I don't have sanitation issues. I don't usually have ferment temp issues. For most styles, there are a ton of good recipes to use/edit.
I wouldn't want to be the guy who sends in a 20pt beer because of flaws. I think most that hit the show will be in that high 20s to mid 30s. And if they haven't had massive Skype issues, we probably would have had a better discussion like I have heard on most of the shows.
They always discuss how to make a beer better. They even do a recap.

And Jamil...I wouldn't speak for the guy, but he has spent a good chunk of his life fitting beers to style, writing a book about it with recipes to style, and is one of the premier BJCP judges in the country. I think maybe that idea was taken out of context.
Effingbeer

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Effingbeer wrote:..........
And Jamil...I wouldn't speak for the guy, but he has spent a good chunk of his life fitting beers to style, writing a book about it with recipes to style, and is one of the premier BJCP judges in the country. I think maybe that idea was taken out of context.

Listen to any show where Jamil talks about competitions and get back to me.
whoateallthepies

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Anyone know what time the show starts (East Coast time)?
Fermenting: Brett PA, Sour, Rosemary Singel, Lemongrass Singel
Kegged: Old Ale, Calypso Saison, Tart Cherry Farmhouse Braggot, 3711 Pale, Blonde, Imperial Porter
On deck: Session Pale, BN Porter, APA, Citrus Saison, Pale Mild, Blonde
piratwolf

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:18 pm

piratwolf wrote:Anyone know what time the show starts (East Coast time)?

9....ish
Effingbeer

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks, Eff!
Fermenting: Brett PA, Sour, Rosemary Singel, Lemongrass Singel
Kegged: Old Ale, Calypso Saison, Tart Cherry Farmhouse Braggot, 3711 Pale, Blonde, Imperial Porter
On deck: Session Pale, BN Porter, APA, Citrus Saison, Pale Mild, Blonde
piratwolf

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:15 am

He's even got his own tab on the homepage. Now it's official! :jnj
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:44 am

I love the show. I just wish they would review more beers from people who really have a problem they are trying to work out. Not just people looking for reassurance.
hoodie

PreviousNext

Return to Beer Radio