Re: Beer and Bikes

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 am

Ozwald wrote:
Willsall? Over the Bridger Pass? Jesus, that's a hell of a ride for a bicycle.

Even better when you drop down into Livingston for a second beer.
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 pm

I live too far from any breweries to get drunk at so I bring beer for after a ride, we sit around and have a couple before going home. I just don't bring enough to get people drunk...
Monster Mash

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Look man being a known associate to my local IOMC I see my brothers jump on their bikes after haveing one or two durring a ride. BUT! NEVER would one of my brothers let another brother ride drunk. One of our moto's is MBBM My Brothers BEFORE Me. That doesn't count death. Like I said before Ride easy.
In keg-a-tor-a-anator

Ocotoberfest, Sour Code Brown for Big Brew Day, Smoke Porter

On Deck
American Pale Ale and Dry Stout
My Dad always said "never confuse bravery with stupidity."
lunitick1976

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 am

lunitick1976 wrote:Look man being a known associate to my local IOMC I see my brothers jump on their bikes after haveing one or two durring a ride. BUT! NEVER would one of my brothers let another brother ride drunk. One of our moto's is MBBM My Brothers BEFORE Me. That doesn't count death. Like I said before Ride easy.

I think all the above posts are talking about bicycles as opposed to motorcycles. When I used to ride my 750 daily I gave myself a 1 drink max. That came around because I did have a couple too many one night & luckily made it home safe without incident, it made me realize how stupid it really was (I think I was 22 or 23 at the time). Sadly, I haven't ridden in a few years since several years ago a Jeep pulled out in front of me & neither the bike nor myself fared too well from it. I eventually recovered but I never got the bike back together. Finding parts for a '71 is expensive & time consuming.

I've also ridden a bicycle drunk a few too many times & while I don't think it warrants a DUI, they still hand 'em out here. Since a few might argue that it's still a DUI, here's my thinking. This world caters to stupid. I think that's even dumber than the idiots those laws are protecting. I don't believe in making laws to protect people from themselves, such as seatbelts & helmets for adults who are able to make that choice for themselves. While I don't think the state should have a helmet law, I also think you're a bigger idiot if you don't wear one. It's just not for the state to make that decision for me or anyone else.

That Darwin guy was really on to something.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Shit....... Still Don't ride drunk...... :asshat:
In keg-a-tor-a-anator

Ocotoberfest, Sour Code Brown for Big Brew Day, Smoke Porter

On Deck
American Pale Ale and Dry Stout
My Dad always said "never confuse bravery with stupidity."
lunitick1976

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 am

I'm in Albuquerque. I'm lucky, because we have a bike trail that goes straight up to La Cumbre, for the most part. All the college bars are walking distance (and on a main drag that's dangerous to bike anyways.)

That being said, I used to have no problem biking drunk, I used to get good and smashed at our tabletop game nights and wobble my drunk ass home. But about 3-4 months ago, I went head-first through someone's windshield and I haven't been the same carefree biker I was before since. If I'm drunk, I walk the bike home. If I had a few beers but didn't get drunk (usually how I do bars when I do them) I ride/walk...ride the trails, walk the intersections and busy streets. I just don't trust drivers, insurance companies, or the police enough to know that, if I am to survive, I will get any compensation.

Just my two cents: use your brain, because the object is to keep it inside your head. Yeah, you're really only endangering yourself when you ride drunk, but do you really even wanna do that? My bike accident was a minor one, in my opinion, and it still cost me about 7k and 27 stitches to sew my chin back on. <---CAUTION: MY UGLY, CUT UP FACE AND FLAPPING CHIN-PIECES.

Just be safe. You don't want to get hit, trust me. It changes something mentally.
JakeAndBake

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:30 pm

It was my understanding you were sober at the time of your accident though?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:29 pm

I was, yeah. But I'm still really wary about safety on bikes now, and I take drinking and riding in a completely different manner.
JakeAndBake

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Stuff