I've gone crazy-I bought a pair of running shoes

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:00 pm

Yesterday I was stay-at-home-dad with my two sons (1 and 4) to allow my wife to go work a temporary, part-time job she has. We spent the day out and about in various parks and walking around Decatur and at some point I decided, I think I'll try running again,I used to compete in cross country in high school and college, but have since gained 80 lbs. So, we went to the local running store and I bought a pair of shoes. Last night once my wife got home I went for a jog and managed to run continously for 1.8 miles at a 10 minute mile pace. I was huffing and puffing the whole way, but it felt good at the same time and I feel surprisingly good today. I'm actually considering running again tonight. I think I've gone mad...

Any other runners here?
keelanfish

Re: I've gone crazy-I bought a pair of running shoes

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Training to drink those really big beers :)
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Yep, been running almost 10 years now. I picked it up right when I quit smoking cigarettes in 2003. Good trade I'd say!

Welcome back to running! It's an awesome sport (says me).
I wouldn't use me as an example.
Chemiker

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:51 pm

fellow runner here. used to be a fat load but 5 or 6 years ago started running and lost about 90 pounds. run 2 miles every morning with the dog, sometimes 2 more miles at lunch. that's my time to listen to the BN usually.
PFC BN Army - 43rd Battalion Mashing Squadron
beltbuckle

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Do you also love cats?
Alcohol for me is not a problem, its a solution. And I need to solve about twelve problems tonight.
Scharf

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:26 pm

I fuckin hate cats. Ran again tonight. Slower, for 15 minutes just to trying to work the soreness out. Then walked for about 30. When I stopped running competitively due to injury, I weighed 135 lbs and was doing 5 mile cross country races in 28 minutes and 5ks in the 16 minute range. Two months ago I weighed 225 and have since lost some weight through dieting and now weigh 212. I have a goal of 175, and figure if I'm going to continue loving beer, then I'm going to have to excercise. But damn, starting running again sure is humbling.
keelanfish

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm in just about the same boat. I competed in cross and track in college where I picked up some pretty bad eating habits. When you run this much, you simply have to eat a ton of food to live. It's not so easy to stop the eating once you stop the running though. I'm about 50 lbs over my running weight. I keep trying to start back up with the running but it's rough picking that back up after a few years off.
HoozierDaddy

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:10 pm

started in 1994(same year as my first batch of homebrew). its nearly as deadly addictive as brewing. i run 3 1/2 miles after i've measured the mash ph on most brews. dont let yourself quit and something amazing will soon happen.
positiverpr

Next

Return to Off Topic Stuff