It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Iodophor vs. Star San
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:54 am 

I recently got a Beer Gun, but this question could apply to any CPBF.
I would like to keep a keg of sanitizer handy for anytime I want to use my Beer Gun. Normally I use Iodophor. From what I understand Iodophor is no longer good when it loses its color. It seems to loose its color after a few days, even in a keg. I was wondering would Star San last longer? How long is it still good after I mix the keg up?

TIA
Brad

Crossposted: B3 forum, thebrewingnetwork.com forum, beeradvocate.com, NothernBrewer forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:59 am 
 WWW  Profile

It is good until the ph goes above 3 or it becomes cloudy. Whichever happens first. I usually run out of star san before it goes bad. You can also get a non foaming version of star san now. It might be better for you if you are going to be pushing it through lines with pressure.

Travis

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:19 am 
 WWW  Profile

StarSan is good as long as the pH stays below 3 (I think it's 3). When it goes above it turns cloudy. Be careful when using StarSan with copper items. Long term contact will reduce the oxide layer which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the copper should be rinsed well before use. It's like when you clean copper with vinegar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Medals: 4
Asshat of the Year (1) Drunk of the Week (3)
If you have hard water, it is best to use distilled or RO water to mix your StarSan. It will stay at a good ph a lot longer.

Now that someone has mentioned Starsan and copper, I brushed some undiluted on some copper fittings I soldered up for making a CFC. It cleaned them up nice and bright! A good rinse and they were good to go.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company