not sure where to put this

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Do any of you guys keep PBW mixed up in a keg? I was thinking it would be handy to have for cleaning lines and bottle fillers, etc. I tore up a couple of kegwasher pumps by not rinsing Starsan off of them. Does leaving PBW solution in a keg seem like it would tear anything up?
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: not sure where to put this

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:32 pm

I don't remember if long term storage of pbw in a keg is a bad thing or not. For some reason I think it is. There was a brewstrong episode with the guy from 5star in which he talked about it. One of them was bad to store in stainless for long periods, either pbw or starsan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:40 pm

I used to keep 10 gallons of it for months at a time, but I stored it in orange HD buckets with the rubber gasket lids. I wouldn't recommend using kegs to store it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:38 am

I concur! Don't store the pbw in a keg. I will store and reuse PBW for many batches, but storage is a plastic tub. I have had pitting issues with metal parts forgotten in the PBW solution for a couple days, so would definitely not trust in the keg. Starsan with distilled water can be saved for extended periods of time in the keg without issue.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 pm

That would have been nice to know before I let it sit in my new Italian keg for three weeks
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:31 am

I would mix up PBW as needed since long exposure can mess up things. I keep a keg of Star San solution around at all times and had absolutely no problems with it.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:20 pm

On a similar note...I have always used PBW to clean beer lines. Does anyone think that this is ok, or should I use a dedicated beer line cleaner?
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:14 pm

If someone already said this I'm sorry, I don't mean to be an :asshat: .

You can leave PBW in contact with stainless steel for about 24hrs before it starts pitting the stainless. I also must advise not using HD orange buckets for any cleaning, sanitizing liquids or wort/beer. Those buckets are not food safe. Put in an extra $2 bucks and get a food safe bucket.
Personally I keep PBW in a 7 gallon wine bucket. You can keep it for a couple of days, but it works best for the first 24hrs.
barleyboy

Next

Return to General Beer Related