New England Ipa Opinions

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:25 am

Hi all, lately I've been hearing a lot of negative opinions on the New England style IPA, calling them "yeast slugs", "lazy", "can't brew clean beers", etc. I've also heard that all the extra hop material left in the beer will lead to faster oxidation, changing the beer dramatically in a week. I've had some Trillium, HFS, Grimm and other New England Style IPA's and have liked them (not better nor worse than west coast imo). The ratings for New England beers have skyrocketed, it seems that no brewery over there can do wrong, rating wise, as long as their IPA's are unfiltered and dry hopped heavily with fruity hops. I am just wondering what everyone's opinion is on this huge difference in opinion between West Coast brewers and New England.
Benighted

Re: New England Ipa Opinions

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:47 pm

Living in New England, I can say that I am not a fan of the yeasty crap in many of the beers that are available in the area. I don't know what they are getting at with it, but I have never had a beer that I didn't think was better when it was clear.

Now if you are referring to the east coast beers being a bit more like english IPAs (a bit more caramel/crystal character and less dry), then I have no problem with that at all. I like both really dry and not so super dry beers.

To the point of high ratings for IPAs, does anyone really go wrong ratings wise? It seems like anyone that just puts a mountain of hops in their beer (regardless of the rest of the aspects of it) seems to get highly rated, or at least raved about.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:38 am

Based on the line at Bissell Brothers this weekend for the Swish release, I'd say people like them.

I had Substance at Great Lost Bear and it's a great beer. Not yeasty at all, but no way see through. I figure some people don't want to drink them, there will be more for me :)
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:57 pm

What I find ironic is that there are SF Bay Area Brewers making this exact same style, and they seem to be immune to this criticism. Cellarmaker in particular makes beers that are exactly the same way as many of the NE Brewers... Soft, juicy, big hop character without much hop bitterness.
beer_crafter

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:51 am

TheDarkSide wrote:Based on the line at Bissell Brothers this weekend for the Swish release, I'd say people like them.

I had Substance at Great Lost Bear and it's a great beer. Not yeasty at all, but no way see through. I figure some people don't want to drink them, there will be more for me :)
. I've had beers from them that I liked and some that have had a terrible yeast bite. I had one Reciprocal that could have been a yeast starter. But who can argue with the sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On tap:Meg's wit , Oddball Stout, Janet's Brown with all Columbus
The cellar:Krampus American Barleywine,American capitalist stout,American capitalist stout V1.2
The fermentor:Dark sour, Helles, DIPA,
The works:Golden sour,Munich dunkel, Saison
nodstonothing

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:32 am

nodstonothing wrote:
TheDarkSide wrote:Based on the line at Bissell Brothers this weekend for the Swish release, I'd say people like them.

. I had one Reciprocal that could have been a yeast starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds delicious!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:43 pm

New England IPAs are beers that are purposely hazy or cloudy, which can give these brews a smooth, creamy mouthfeel – a departure from the light/dry mouthfeel you often get with West Coast IPAs – with little to no hop bitterness at the end utilizing hops that impart a tropical, juicy sweetness rather than the classic bitter, dank or citrus-y flavors West Coast IPA lovers have come to expect.
Cacturne

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:01 pm

Cacturne wrote:New England IPAs are beers that are purposely hazy or cloudy, which can give these brews a smooth, creamy mouthfeel – a departure from the light/dry mouthfeel you often get with West Coast IPAs – with little to no hop bitterness at the end utilizing hops that impart a tropical, juicy sweetness rather than the classic bitter, dank or citrus-y flavors West Coast IPA lovers have come to expect.

Sounds like my homebrew before I learned water chemistry and became more disciplined with my IPA technique.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Next

Return to General Beer Related