BJCP 2015 Style Guidelines Released

Tue May 05, 2015 9:16 pm

See http://www.bjcp.org

May 2015

New Style Guidelines Released

The long-awaited 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines are now complete, and have been released for use. There are now separate documents for Beer, Mead, and Cider styles, which allows them to be updated in the future on different schedules. The documents are currently available in PDF and Word formats from the Style Center. The 2008 guidelines are still available for use.

BJCP exams will begin to use the 2015 guidelines on exams given in November 2015. More information will be posted as it is available. Tests prior to 1 November 2015 will be based on the 2008 guidelines.

BJCP-sanctioned competitions may use either set of guidelines. Check with individual competition organizers for specific rules. The BJCP expects that by the end of 2015, all competitions will use the 2015 guidelines.

Note that most style-related documents and information posted refers to the 2008 guidelines. As additional formats and translations are available, we will note that in the Style Center.

Enjoy-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Re: BJCP 2015 Style Guidelines Released

Wed May 06, 2015 10:02 am

Category 21B. Specialty IPA: Brown IPA gives Russian River Janet's Brown Ale as a classic example.
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Wed May 06, 2015 10:15 am

TastyMcD wrote:Category 21B. Specialty IPA: Brown IPA gives Russian River Janet's Brown Ale as a classic example.

You're famous!
Klickitat Jim

Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 pm

TastyMcD wrote:Category 21B. Specialty IPA: Brown IPA gives Russian River Janet's Brown Ale as a classic example.

Hmmmm....I wonder whose recipe that is....very cool!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:35 am

Sorry to bump the thread but I am confused about the listed SRM for a Brown IPA and I found your discussion here.

A couple nights ago I updated Beersmith with the BJCP 2015 styles. I noticed the Brown IPA and Red IPA have the exact same SRM range of 11.0-19.0. Thinking this must have been a typo in Beersmith I checked the BJCP guidelines and see they say 11-19 for both. I thought Brown IPA SRM was suppose to be similar to an American Brown Ale (18-35), between a Red IPA (11-19) and a Black IPA (25-40), like an American Brown Ale (18-35) is between and American Amber Ale (10-17) and American Stout (30-40). The descriptions seem to imply that as well.

Brown IPA

Overall Impression: Hoppy, bitter, and moderately strong like an American IPA, but with some caramel, chocolate, toffee, and/or dark fruit malt character as in an American Brown Ale. ...
Appearance: Color ranges from reddish-brown to dark brown but not black. Frequently opaque, but should be clear if visible. ...
Comments: Previously might have been a sub-genre of American Brown Ales, hoppier and stronger than the normal products, but still maintaining the essential drinkability by avoiding sweet flavors or a heavy body or finish. ...
History: A more modern craft beer name for a style that has long been popular with US homebrewers, when it was known as a hoppier American Brown Ale or sometimes Texas Brown Ale (despite origins in California).
Style Comparison: A stronger and more bitter version of an American Brown Ale, with the balance of an American IPA.

American Brown Ale

Style Comparison: ... Less bitterness, alcohol, and hop character than Brown IPAs. ...

Could this be a typo in the BJCP 2015 guidelines, maybe a copy/paste error? I have searched the "interweb" and have not found any discussion about it.
nwcitrus

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Great question. I never noticed that before.
I'll post your question over on the BJCP forum and see what the guidelines guys say.

My guess is that if its NOT a type, "red" and "brown" absorb the same amount of blue light they use when measuring SRM, but that's only a guess. I remember this image in BYO of a whole slew of beers that were measured at the same SRM but look vastly different:

(Starting from the bottom, all of the beers in each row of this picture are all scientifically measured at 2, 10, 20, and 30 SRM respectively)
http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1686- ... ed-brewing

When I'm judging, I tend to treat color as more of a "yeah, that looks about right" or "nah, a bit too dark/light" as opposed to getting hung up on what the actual SRM value is. If the flavor gets affected (e.g. too roasty) and the color is dark, then I'd probably remark on reducing the dark malts. Otherwise, I'd likely comment something along the lines of "Dark copper color is at the dark end of the range" and leave it at that.

Its only 1 point and nothing to really sweat over.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
BDawg

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:04 pm

BDawg - Good article. Thanks.

That may explain why Brown IPA and Red IPA have the same SRM. But, that would raise another question about why American Brown Ale has such a high SRM (compared to either of those two or to American Amber Ale).

Cheers!
nwcitrus

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:21 pm

Yes, they really should not overlap, as far as I can tell.
My post over on the BJCP forum has already gotten a few responses, though I'm waiting for more.

I'll keep you guys posted.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
BDawg

Next

Return to General Beer Related