Re: Sanitizing

Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:51 pm

hookset wrote:What is pitching?

Pitching is just another word for putting yeast in the wort. Pitching rate is the amount of yeast, or the number of yeast cells, that are in the pitch. If you're using dry yeast, which is a good, safe route for the first few batches, your pitching rate will likely be sufficient. It's best to rehydrate the dry yeast according to the yeast manufacturer's instructions prior to pitching.

If you're up north, this time of year is good for fermenting ales in the basement.
JoeBeer100

Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:55 pm

hookset wrote:A whole new language to me, I hope i pitch better than the phillies! What is pitching?

You 'pitch' your yeast into the wort. Pitching yeast is adding the yeast to begin fermentation. Pitching rate is how many cells or mL of yeast slurry you add to a given volume of wort.

hookset wrote:]I figured the sanitizer would sanitize the sink too, I will get another bucked and dedicate it to sanitizing. Thanks

Your kitchen is the most unsanitary room in your house bar none. (Yes, even the bathroom) Just by sanitizing the surfaces, you don't rid the air of all the microscopic organisms floating around. You should also note, you can not sanitize what is not clean. If you just pulled the dishes out of the sink & filled it up with sanitizer, you did not, in fact, sanitize your sink at all. Cleaning is vitally important. Sanitizing properly after you clean is also vitally important.

hookset wrote:I will dry them inverted, do you sanitize the surface the bottles are inverted on too?

Clean & sanitize everything that comes into contact with your wort & beer on the cold side. 'Cold side' means everything after the boil has been completed. You clean & sanitize the fermenter, whatever comes in contact with the wort going to the fermenter, the bottles, anything that touches the bottles and anything that looks at the bottles in a stern manner.

hookset wrote:Man, I didn't check my post for 24 hours and it is amazing how much information showed up. Fantastic info, thanks!!!

That's what we're here for, a bunch of :asshat: 's with hundreds of years combined experience, making the world a happier place 1 pint at a time. Except for Spidey, which tends to be 3 pints at a time (don't ask where he holds the 3rd one. You don't want to know, trust me)

Head over to one of the BN's fine sponsors, such as Northern Brewer or More Beer & pick up a jar of PBW (Powdered Brewer's Wash). It's an excellent cleaner. There's no such thing as a 1-step product, even though there are some that claim to be. On a side note, what kind of tubing are you using?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Ozwald wrote: You should also note, you can not sanitize what is not clean.

I've said it elsewhere, but figured I'd repeat it here. I get customers asking about difference between cleaning and sanitizing and why one isn't as good as the other. I tell them to imagine their hands are covered in dog shit, and they get the option of soapy water or just a squirt of hand sanitizer. Drives home the point that sanitizing isn't sufficient unless you are working with a clean surface.

Ozwald wrote: Except for Spidey, which tends to be 3 pints at a time (don't ask where he holds the 3rd one. You don't want to know, trust me)

:shock:

:aaron :aaron :aaron
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:47 pm

brewinhard wrote:A typical kitchen sink harbors some of the nastiest microorganisms in your house. I would suggest that you at least purchase a separate bucket to sanitize your bottles, caps, and other equipment.

If you are planning on topping off your wort to reach your 5 gallon mark then you should also consider using store bought spring water instead of your tap water.

Not sure I agree yes I am sure there is a ton if bacteria but a quick clean and it will be a ton cleaner than any plastic bucket

I would take the clean ability of stainless over plastic...just my opinion
Stinkfist

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks for the explanation on pitching.

Spiderwrangler wrote:imagine their hands are covered in dog shit, and they get the option of soapy water or just a squirt of hand sanitizer. Drives home the point that sanitizing isn't sufficient unless you are working with a clean surface.

Now I get it!

OZWALD wrote:Head over to one of the BN's fine sponsors, such as Northern Brewer or More Beer & pick up a jar of PBW (Powdered Brewer's Wash). It's an excellent cleaner. There's no such thing as a 1-step product, even though there are some that claim to be. On a side note, what kind of tubing are you using?

Done.

Thanks everyone
hookset

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:18 pm

JoeBeer100 wrote:On a side note, what kind of tubing are you using?

We have clear plastic tubing from the local home brew supply store. It fits over the spout on my bucket and the auto-siphon.
hookset

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:17 pm

hookset wrote:Thanks for the explanation on pitching.

Spiderwrangler wrote:imagine their hands are covered in dog shit, and they get the option of soapy water or just a squirt of hand sanitizer. Drives home the point that sanitizing isn't sufficient unless you are working with a clean surface.

Now I get it!

OZWALD wrote:Head over to one of the BN's fine sponsors, such as Northern Brewer or More Beer & pick up a jar of PBW (Powdered Brewer's Wash). It's an excellent cleaner. There's no such thing as a 1-step product, even though there are some that claim to be.

Done.

To be clear, EcoLogic (makers of One Step) are also sponsoring the BN now, and although my preference is for PBW (cause it cleans everything) and Star-San (stable in an active solution, since it's pH and not O2 based), I did use One Step for the first 4 years of brewing and never had any problems with infection. As a brew product, it does work, and as someone working in a retail setting, I still will recommend it to beginners that are looking for a lower start up cost to brewing, but do give them the run down of my preferences for the 5-Star products and my reasoning for that. For the small quantity containers, I generally tell them to go with One Step (~$5) at least to get started, and once they finish that first container, consider giving PBW (~$9) and Star-San (~$10) a try. While PBW/Star-San is more upfront, the working volumes of the product, combined with their shelf stability in a working solution means they will do a lot more for the $ in the long run.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Don't forget contact time. One Step takes a LONG time to sanitize. Star-San is ready to go in 30 seconds.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

PreviousNext

Return to General Beer Related