Re: Sanitizing

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:51 pm

hookset wrote:...the instructions said to boil 2 gallons and then add the 3 after it cools. Wife and I could not figure out how that sanitizes all the water. I guess they do that since getting 5 gallons to boil takes some time, but I could take the burner for the turkey deep fryer and use that to get the 5 gallons to boil.

Yeah, the instructions are accounting for the fact that most brewers starting out don't have a big boil kettle.

Another thing to be mindful of is your fermentation (which, to me, is 90% of brewing). Proper pitching rate and an appropriate, consistent temperature are vital. You'll figure it out.
JoeBeer100

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:58 pm

hookset wrote:I have not heard of PBW solution, although I did use OXYClean on the bottles to get the labels off of them.

Oxyclean is more or less the same as PBW (PBW has some additional surfactants, but the main ingredient is the same). I make sure to get the perfume free/dye free oxyclean though.
siwelwerd

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Just a tip on your sanitizing.... You said you soak your bottles in a Star San solution then let them dry, possibly a little left in the bottom. This leads me to believe that you are letting them dry right side up. This basically creates a collection cup for bacteria to land in. First off, no problem leaving a thin layer of wet Star San in your bottles or any racking vessel. Also, leave the bottles inverted when "drying".

While an infection could cause a medicinal taste, I don't think it's from the bottles because it's likely only a couple of bottles would be infected and not the whole batch.

Medicinal (chlorophenolic) Chloroseptic, medicine cabinet Avoid water with chlorine or chloramines (use RO water if necessary). Avoid bleach sanitizers. Reduce astringency/grain husk sources. Avoid excessive whole hop use. Check for infection. ( Cut and paste job here. )
Last edited by beaten.husband on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaten.husband

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:49 pm

A typical kitchen sink harbors some of the nastiest microorganisms in your house. I would suggest that you at least purchase a separate bucket to sanitize your bottles, caps, and other equipment.

If you are planning on topping off your wort to reach your 5 gallon mark then you should also consider using store bought spring water instead of your tap water.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:17 pm

siwelwerd wrote:
hookset wrote:I have not heard of PBW solution, although I did use OXYClean on the bottles to get the labels off of them.

Oxyclean is more or less the same as PBW (PBW has some additional surfactants, but the main ingredient is the same). I make sure to get the perfume free/dye free oxyclean though.

PBW also has chelators in it, which becomes important when your water has a high mineral content.
Bobbie Dooley

Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Using tap water to top off is a no-no because the chlorine in it forms chlorophenolics, which taste medicinal or like band-aids.
A cheaper route rather than buying store bought water but is just as effective is to get some campden tablets. They are very cheap and 1 aspirin sized tablet will treat 20 gallons of water. I take one and break it in half and crush it then add to my HLT (10 gallons). You can do the same with your water -- break them into quarters to treat 5 gallons. They remove all chlorine and chloramine from the water and are highly effective. No fuss, no muss, no more band-aids after that.

Oh, and if you can pre-boil your water, that is a good thing to do, too. You never know what sort of bacterial contamination may be in there, even in the presence of chlorine. I feel safe drinking the water, but going straight from the tap and letting it sit at room temp for weeks where bacteria can multiply is another level. Rather be safe than sorry.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:10 am

+1

Since you can't do a full boil in a 30qt kettle (but you can get really close) just make sure you use most of the water in the kettle & put the remainder in a smaller pot on the stove to pre-boil it. If you've got some software (there's plenty of free trials out there) you can plug in the recipe in the kit & see what your actual pre-boil volume will be.

The instructions in the kit are to get from no knowledge at all to having something you can drink, not the best way, but an easy to understand way for a beginner. You can split up that water in any ratio you want, but you really want the vast majority of it in your kettle with the extract. Just make sure you leave a couple three inches at the top of the kettle clear - don't fill it right to the brim. Your wife can thank me later :)

Between the campden & boiling all of the water, you should get rid of the medicine taste.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:51 pm

"Another thing to be mindful of is your fermentation (which, to me, is 90% of brewing). Proper pitching rate and an appropriate, consistent temperature are vital. You'll figure it out"

A whole new language to me, I hope i pitch better than the phillies! What is pitching?
BDawg wrote:Using tap water to top off is a no-no because the chlorine in it forms chlorophenolics, which taste medicinal or like band-aids.
A cheaper route rather than buying store bought water but is just as effective is to get some campden tablets. They are very cheap and 1 aspirin sized tablet will treat 20 gallons of water. I take one and break it in half and crush it then add to my HLT (10 gallons). You can do the same with your water -- break them into quarters to treat 5 gallons. They remove all chlorine and chloramine from the water and are highly effective. No fuss, no muss, no more band-aids after that.

Oh, and if you can pre-boil your water, that is a good thing to do, too. You never know what sort of bacterial contamination may be in there, even in the presence of chlorine. I feel safe drinking the water, but going straight from the tap and letting it sit at room temp for weeks where bacteria can multiply is another level. Rather be safe than sorry.

HTH-

Increadible amount of information, I am taking lots of notes, can't wait to taste the next batch!

"A typical kitchen sink harbors some of the nastiest microorganisms in your house. I would suggest that you at least purchase a separate bucket to sanitize your bottles, caps, and other equipment.

[i]"If you are planning on topping off your wort to reach your 5 gallon mark then you should also consider using store bought spring water instead of your tap water."

I figured the sanitizer would sanitize the sink too, I will get another bucked and dedicate it to sanitizing. Thanks

"Just a tip on your sanitizing.... You said you soak your bottles in a Star San solution then let them dry, possibly a little left in the bottom. This leads me to believe that you are letting them dry right side up. This basically creates a collection cup for bacteria to land in. First off, no problem leaving a thin layer of wet Star San in your bottles or any racking vessel. Also, leave the bottles inverted when "drying".

While an infection could cause a medicinal taste, I don't think it's from the bottles because it's likely only a couple of bottles would be infected and not the whole batch.

Medicinal (chlorophenolic) Chloroseptic, medicine cabinet Avoid water with chlorine or chloramines (use RO water if necessary). Avoid bleach sanitizers. Reduce astringency/grain husk sources. Avoid excessive whole hop use. Check for infection. ( Cut and paste job here. )"

I will dry them inverted, do you sanitize the surface the bottles are inverted on too?

Man, I didn't check my post for 24 hours and it is amazing how much information showed up. Fantastic info, thanks!!!
hookset

PreviousNext

Return to General Beer Related